recruitment diversity

We have a good mix of diversity in our organisation but an area of the business is not doing too well on that.

As part of the Civil Service, we have anonymised sifting in place to avoid discrimination.

We are already stating everyone is welcome to apply in all job adverts, but for some roles we are still not getting the interest from ethnic minority candidates background etc. What else can be done to increase the number of diverse candidates applying for roles when advertising as well as for sifting stage?

• You need to do some research on the media that your target communities use to find jobs. People in minority groups don't necessarily access jobs through the same pathways as majority groups and are more likely to apply for jobs if they see them advertised in contexts and media that they are predisposed to trust more than the mainstream.
  • Check your pathways - some professions/sectors have more inclusive training and higher education than others for a host of reasons. It doesn't mean that you can't tackle the challenge, but you may need to start from a different place - ie promoting the career pathway in schools/colleges, setting up apprenticeships or sponsored training packages etc. Some parts of the Civil Service may well be perceived as less welcoming to candidates from non-white or disadvantaged backgrounds, so showing that the reverse is true is important.

Also, ask your staff - those from all backgrounds - about their perceptions before they joined the organisation and now they are employed. If they are significantly different, why?

It can be very small things that tip you one way or the other - I very nearly didn't apply for my current role, because the application form wanted me to identify as Mrs or Miss. I've been Ms since I was 16, so I felt really uncertain about whether it would be the kind of organisation that I would suit (and that would suit me). I decided to apply and (obviously) change things once appointed - but on another day, it could easily have been the signifier that made me turn off the computer and walk away.

Good luck.

Nina
  • I trialed something recently. I was recruiting for trustees and we have the same kind of people applying. I specifically broadened out our spec and limited the essential criteria to a minimum. I also offered a supported application route where those who were interested but thought they would not be suitable. We separated this off from the selection process and they were offered support in making an application focusing much more on transferable skills. It was pretty successful so we're looking at potentially broadening this out.