Employee complaining about a pro-Ukraine image

Hello all, 

I've got a bit of a workplace dilemma. One of our employees currently has a pro-Ukraine image on their profile picture for Outlook. Another employee has complained about this to me, and said it should be taken down as this is not the place to display personal or political views. They have also said that this is not appropriate for a global company in terms of inclusivity. 

We are a US parent owned company, with sites and customers worldwide. There is no global policy on etiquette for profile pictures but we have a standard email signature, which we are told cannot contain our own wording, words of wisdom etc. Profile pictures vary from head shots, to generic images / scenes, or the default setting which is the person's initials. This leaves me with the option to deal with the issue locally, however the company may 

I am speaking to the employee who has made the complaint later, but while I am trying to approach this in a neutral manner I feel that this is a really emotive topic - and whatever happens in the end, one of the people will be upset. Question is, which one should it be? The employee with the image could be offended at the request to take it down, and refuse. If the image remains, the employee who has complained could be offended, and what is to stop them putting up their own image (pro-Russia for example) in response?

Has anyone ever had to deal with anything like this lately? 

Thanks for any insight! 

• I'm surprised this hasn't had more of a response.

I think, in the first instance, the fact is that you *don't* have a policy on profile pictures. If a profile picture were grossly offensive, then there would probably be clear grounds for asking someone to change it, policy or not. But otherwise political or social statements aren't explicitly banned. Pride flags or party emblems may be of questionable judgement but aren't grossly offensive, and a national flag of anywhere falls into a similar category.

All of that said... you should probably have some guidelines on profile pictures.

I recall when I set up BreatheHR as a system, it allowed individual users to add their own profile picture and I sent out some guidance at the time that was along the lines of "do what you like with this, but remember that you're at work" and after that it was built into the induction process.

As far the complainant goes, I would tell them that there *isn't* a policy, so you're not going to ask the other person to take down their flag picture. However, you will look into whether there is any feeling at a higher level that there should *be* a policy and, if so, what it should be.
  • In reply to Robey:

Quiet from some of us (ahem), could be the awful realisation we haven't updated our IT policy about profile pics on Outlook. Gulp!
  • In reply to Andrea:

I'm sure the end of the world is not about to take place Andrea! Don't always need a policy for every eventuality :-)
  • If this is a work profile on your own system/s then you are free to state what their profile picture is. So you can - if you wish ask him to remove it. If you have a clear discription of what can and cannot be put on it and this infringes it I would ask him to remove it.
    There is, for example a pretty clear description of kind of photograph we put on.

However, if this is on his own Outlook page and its on his computer, then I guess what he puts on it is his own business, even if it upsets everyone. Don't look if you don't like it!
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks for your reply Robey. Yes, I agree we need some guidance, however this is generally something that is cascaded down from the US parent, who have nothing in place - and I have been caught out in the past when they suddenly launch some rules at us with no warning (but that's another thread!) I agree that offensive/inappropriate pictures should be removed, and would have no problem with this, policy or no policy.
    It's more delicate due to the subject matter, and having spoken to the complainant since, there are complications around their views on the conflict (they are Serbian) which we may not fully appreciate in the UK. Nevertheless, they have been told that I will not be telling the other person to remove their picture as there is no good reason for this, and no policy prohibiting it.
  • In reply to Katherine :

Aside from my previous reply Katherine, just because there's no policy doesn't mean you have to allow it. Its your workplace. What do you on-site managers think about it?
  • In reply to David Perry:

No, I agree - but I don't have an issue with the photo, and don't think the employee should have to take it down. It is handling this with the complainant that is more of the issue :-)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

5 May, 2022 14:01

In reply to Katherine :

Hi Katherine - is it a "pro-Ukraine" image - or the Ukrainian flag?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hi Steve, it is not the flag, but an image of a clenched fist in Russian colours, being met by an open hand (in a 'stop' gesture) in Ukrainian colours. When I first saw it I viewed it as an image supporting Ukrainian resistance, but the complaining employee has said that they see it as more aggressive towards Russia (we've agreed to disagree but I guess this does show there can be more complex views held by individuals rather than the general consensus, especially when their own personal history is taken into account (Serbian, was a child during the Balkan War in the 90's). Just means treading carefully with people's feelings really (on both sides).
  • In reply to Katherine :

I'd simply tell the one whose complaining that you do not agree with their view and the image stays - and that is the end of the matter.

I have every sympathy and empathy with the Serbian having discussed the Balkan situation with several Serbians and Croatian refugees, (Mrs P and Myself worked with many of them in Ireland) and one particular family we are still friends with, over the last 20 years - I don't quite see the link with Russia or an open hand representing aggression. In any case the Balkan situation was somewhat different - But hey ho!
  • In reply to David Perry:

Thanks David, yes I will and then hopefully that will be the end of it!