Personal hygiene - does not use deodorant for religious reasons

Evening all, I have a staff member that I have raised personal hygiene and dress code with on a few occasions already. For religious reasons they do not use deodorant but I have today had 3 people raise the smell issue with me. The staff member is still in probation but is great at their job. Any advice on the best approach for another conversation? Thanks in advance.

• Smell is such a difficult thing to tell someone. What is your relation to this employee, HR, manager, etc? A private meeting with HR might do the trick? is the smell more of an health thing, or hygiene thing (shower/laundry), or perhaps food they regularly eat? I have an employee whose hair really smells.... They say it's a cultural thing and it's discriminatory, but i would maintain the foundation of the equality act and say we can only respect somthing that does not harm others and have democratic values?
  • This has come up before. I can't find it by searching

I'm sure Steve Bridger will find it later.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Feb, 2023 08:01

In reply to David Perry:

Indeed, David.

A long time ago... but I saved ot from the archive as it is a good'un.

RE: Dealing with an employee with unpleasant body odour 

This thread is also top drawer.

Strong Perfume 

• For religious reasons they do not use deodorant

Well, that's a new one to me, I admit. Do they also not use soap for religious reasons? Or not do laundry for religious reasons?

Not bathing for religious reasons has a long and moderately respectable history, but was practised by monks, ascetics, stylites and yogis, not office workers. "It's my religion" should certainly give us pause, but it's not a get-of-washing-free card and respect and consideration for our colleagues is the Golden Rule (do unto others) in all major world religions.

If your colleague doesn't use deodorant on ethical, moral or spiritual grounds then that's good for them, but what it means is that, if they want to continue being employed, they have to make additional efforts to ensure that they are pleasant to be around and, if they can't or won't, their employment may come to an end as a result. And you need to tell them as such.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Feb, 2023 10:59

In reply to Robey:

It's not quite as simple as that though, Robey. After all, probably most people on the planet do not use deodorant.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

But they don't work in my office, Steve!

(And if they did, they probably would.)
  • It might be the ingredients of deo, or not religion but faith that has something against certain chemical use or "unnaturalness" or some sort... I have heard of it..
  • I've had that one as well and I had to have the chat. Turned out they didn't have a washing machine and only used the launderette when they could afford it. I felt so bad that I took their washing home (no underwear), by the way we had uniforms, so it was only that just to help them out once in a while. They had some mental health issues going on at the time and I think it was just overwhelming them.
  • Thanks Steve all the comments are helpful! My concern is that his admin assistant is the one that has complained that the smell makes her queasy
  • In reply to Claire Brian:

Do check that other people are also aware of the smell.

I once worked with a very nice guy who seemed to me to always smell strongly of urine. I asked around and no one else noticed. Apparently (I discovered after some Googling) it's a genetic thing. A handful of people in a population will smell weird to another handful of other people and it's nothing to do with personal hygiene.
  • Thanks Robey others have also not said the same but they didn't like to say anything
  • Thanks for this, it's made my day :) funny words....
  • I don’t use anti perspirant for health reasons but do use a natural deodorant I wonder if there are aware of the natural deodorant alternatives out there? It may also be worth finding out difficult though it may be if they do have a washing machine, everything they need etc
  • Most people once you raise it with them will naturally try and deal with the issue. I've address "odour concerns" on a couple of occasions now and it's never an easy chat. Body odour is something some people just don't recognize whether its religious or genetic, one person I spoke to did use deodorant and frequently topped up during the day and still we had complaints. I've also had concerns raised about someone smelling like cigarettes and it made the rest of the team feel "unwell".

I'd suggest you make sure there is a genuine odour issue and it's strong enough to be a concern and then support in any way your can. As has been stated by others sometimes this is a cost issue, deodorant is a luxury item for some same as washing clothes.
  • I don’t use deodorant for personal/ health reasons, but I go to extra lengths to ensure that I don’t smell. Also if you’re showering daily and wearing clean clothes, it’s less likely that someone will smell so it may also be about those elements as well.

While personal and religious beliefs and practices need to be respected, the comfort of other people at work should also be considered. After pointing out that the odour is making other people uncomfortable, I’d ask him what he thought the solution was. If he still couldn’t see the issue, I would ask this person to seek alternative options for deodorant, maybe sending links to articles or products and let him know that it needs to be addressed to ensure a comfortable working environment for everyone.