Stopping equality questionnaires?

I'm supporting a small charity, with less than 50 employees, who have always asked new starters to complete a equality and diversity form. This data is anonymous and stored separately/securely from any employee files however, there's no review or monitoring of the data.

It doesn't feel right to stop collecting this data but should the forms still be completed if the data will not be used? 

• Hi Stacey

Unless your employer is subject to regular external scrutiny of EO management etc then see no real reason not to stop them. If your employer does nothing but file them away unanalysed then the whole exercise is just a total waste of time anyway. And less than 50 bodies is probably too few for any statistics to be very meaningful even if they did analyse the questionnaires. Suppose stopping them might hypothetically result in someone personally who identified as eg with a protected characteristic requiring adaptations etc getting missed so you might want to retain some revised way of guarding against such as this getting missed.

Far too many employers sadly even these days fall into the trap of thinking that simply putting out EO questionnaires contributes anything towards managing EO effectively - quite the converse!

ideally, if you really want to improve EO, maybe something like a small working party involving the MD or CEO to consider the question of what your organisation, as an SME with limited resources etc can realistically do in order demonstrably to become better at EO. Then get on and do it!

• If you're intending on applying for grant funding, you might find you need data in the future for that. However you could chose to collect it from staff at that point.
  • I guess my question is why aren't you doing something with the data :-)
  • In reply to David:

Thanks very much all
  • I would question why this data is being collected if not being used. I would think this would be questionable under GDPR, especially as some of this information is considered sensitive data.
  • In reply to Jonathan:

If the data collected is (race, religion, sex etc.,) is anonymous then it does not fall under the GDPR regs anyway.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

27 Mar, 2023 07:37

In reply to Jacqueline:

Very good shout, Jackie.