Return to the office

Interesting and some what counter intuitive announcement from the government about civil servants having to return to the office in central london to make maximum use of the office estate - rather than any efficiency argument or engagement considerations. 

Unlikely I think to be followed by many in the private sector. 

Jacob Rees-Mogg calls for civil servants to return to the office www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-politics-61145692

• Its almost as if he is trying to make a noise and fuss about something, to take the attention away from something else ;)
  • How is it making efficient use of the office estate? Surely it would be more efficient to not have to open the buildings at all some days of the week. I know my last employer was looking at not opening office spaces at all one day of the week, to save on heating and lighting costs.
  • "...we must continue to accelerate the return of civil servants to office buildings to realise the benefits of face-to-face, collaborative working and the wider benefits for the economy."

Given that the statistical and academic evidence is consistent that remote working allows employees in white collar roles (such as civil servants) to be between 6 and 13% more productive, Rees-Mogg's only salient argument in favour of a return to the office is found in the phrase "wider benefits to the economy".

It is hardly surprising that a man whose substantial wealth is tied up in schemes that are built upon a mixture of fossil fuels and commercial property would like to see a return to the "wider benefits" that an office-based culture promotes.

He can [jog on]*.

*Insert stronger language to taste
  • In reply to Robey:

Because having virtual wine and cheese just isn't the same as doing it in the office?!
  • In reply to Elsa Knight:

As if Jacob Rees-Mogg would deign to consume wine and cheese with mere civil servants. Can you imagine? Why, they don't even have a decent sommelier on the payroll!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2022 09:26

Read that, too . Public sector too also looking at it's estate. Our council is now consolidating its primary office activities in one single location as we do not need two large buildings to accommodate the workforce. The pandemic accelerated the adoption of flexible and agile working and we have a 'ways of working' workstream looking at repurposing the Town Hall space around the activities staff need to come into the office for. The second site is also hugely energy inefficient so we want to release it for redevelopment - e.g. social housing.

• Unfortunately it just shows how 'out of touch' some politicians can be. If you contain pay, reduce future pension benefits and avoid flexible working you are unlikely to be seen as an attractive employer. Embracing the new norm will enable the government to reduce the costs of the estate they occupy for the benefit of all.
  • So much for the green recovery that some politicians mentioned at the beginning of the pandemic....
  • Sadly there are a number of company CEOs in the same vein as Mr Mogg. Real Estate, pension funds, property portfolios, concerns over asset management, long leases on expensive property that has a lot of cost on the balance sheet and concerns about managing and leading people remotely can all play into this....'let's all return to the office' stuff.

Mr Mogg seems more than a little out of touch and isn't someone who's opinion on hybrid working is worth canvassing in my opinion. That won't stop him going on about it especially as they already believe civil servants prevent rather than facilitate work. I imagine that politics have more than a little to do with it....obviously ;-).
  • It's ok for the government departments to work wherever is most efficient but not at the expense of the general populace re: DVLA. www.thetimes.co.uk/.../dvla-staff-off-work-on-full-pay-amid-application-backlog-crisis-bf02t8hcl
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Apr, 2022 10:50

In reply to Stephanie :

Build Back Better. Not. (My personal opinion)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Apr, 2022 10:51

In reply to David:

This is usually more an issue with culture, systems readiness or 'computer says no'... than the location of work per se.

• In reply to David:

David said:
    It's ok for the government departments to work wherever is most efficient but not at the expense of the general populace re: DVLA

Isn't the issue here to do with poor management, inefficient systems and just a very dysfunctional organisation. Many many organisations doing things as complex and far more complex than issuing drivers licences managed to pivot successfully to hybrid/working from home.  The fact that DVLC didn't manage to isn't to my mind an argument against hybrid working or an argument for forcing people back to a 1950s model of working.

• In reply to Keith:

I agree, Keith. The Home Office and FCDO have been using Covid to explain why their response and processing levels have been so poor mainly on the basis that the work they do processing visa applications and the additional security certificates for some researchers is so confidential/security risk that it can't be done from home. That may be true in certain cases but it also means their IT and Security Systems are out of date and unfit for the modern day and whilst that remains the case, it needs effective management to ensure that those whose job can only be done in the office are there to do it and/or change to systems to enable effective home working.
  • In reply to Helen:

Interesting to note that Capita (who supply IT services for quite a few government departments) are very much committed to home working. They supply secure laptops and secure VPN connections so that most work can be undertaken from home. My husband only knows of one contract where they absolutely cannot work from home and that is a site which has no external network connectivity at all for very good reason.