Holiday calculations *again* :(

Hi all,

this has prob been asked a zillion times before so apologies in advance. I have an EE who works 37.5 hours over 5 days, Mon to Frid. He would like to work the same hours over 5 days, taking Wed off. We calc our annual leave in days. The change was with take effect 9th May 2022.

I have explained that he gets his usual 33 days annual leave Jan to April. May onward I have calculated his annual leave as follows:

33/12*4 = 11 days

26.4/12*8= 17.6

Total annual leave is 28.5 days.

Is this correct? He will not accept that his annual leave changes because he is working less days, despite the same hours being worked.

Does anyone have a clear way of communicating this? Unless of course Im wrong in my calcs, in which case I shall go groveling. 

Thanks so much!

• The reason he’s confused is because you are working in days and he is working in hours. Convert it all to hours and it should come out to the same number. ( you can still book in days just this is best way to demonstrate)
  • Hi Sunny

Do you mean he's going to work 37.5 hours over 4 days (not 5)?

I would work his holiday in hours, otherwise he'll get too much. ;-)
    Your total holiday entitlement is 33 * 7.5 hours = 247.5 hours per year. Using your calculation, he would get 28.5 * 9.375 hours = 267.1875 hours for this year.

The problem comes from the fact that the first 11 days he has accrued are 7.5 hour days and the last 17.5 days he will accrue are 9.375 hour days. Assuming he hasn't taken those 11 days already at 7.5 hours per day, he'll be entitled to take them based on his new, longer working day and therefore get more hours holiday than if he were working 5 days.

If you translate your calculation into hours you get (11*7.5 = 82.5) + (17.5*9.375 = 164.0625) = 246.5625 (which is your normal full time entitlement, barring rounding errors).

So I would heartily recommend translating his holiday into hours, but leaving it at 247.5 hours as it's the clearest way to show it.

Hope that helps

Jackie
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 May, 2022 10:04

In reply to Jacqueline:

* head hurts *
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Thanks Jacqueline
  • In reply to Sunny:

Perfect answers already from Keith and Jacqueline. I just wanted to underline the point when it comes to explaining it to the employee:

"Yes, you have fewer days' holiday, but those days are *longer*."

If they can't get their heads around this, I would like to recommend they join me in an exciting opportunity in crypto.
  • This is exactly the point I tried to make to the EE. If he and I took Monday off he would be paid more hours than me. But oooohhh no.....lol
  • In reply to Sunny:

I had this issue once - I explained it in weeks holiday. Everybody gets 5.6 weeks off (or what ever it works out in your company). Always would start with full time - 5.6 weeks equalling 28 days. The use an example at the other end of the scale - If you worked 1 day per week, you would get 5.6 weeks of 1 day per week so 5.6 days. The explain that they get 5.6 weeks of their working week.

When I did it this it this way the person got it for the first time in years apparently - always thought the company was doing them out of holiday.