UK company with some US/global employees - tips?

Hi All,

I'm in a relatively new Head of People position at a remote software company that have grown by 50% in a year, with a third of employees being based in the US.

As part of getting to know the team, it's come to my attention that some of the US employees feel, for want of a better phrase, like the poor cousins in relation to the people team output and expertise (which makes sense, being a UK based company with business support functions based in the UK and everyone being new to all of the changes! We do however have payroll/employment support from a US 3rd party).

I'm planning on holding a "roundtable" discussion to understand what kind of issues & annoyances they have - one example so far is that we haven't given clarity on when the UK bank hols are, so they don't know when we're off (luckily a quick fix). I think the issues will be more around around communication, visibility and general culture.

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar journey? What do you do to ensure that global employees feel visible and part of the core team? Especially in a remote environment. Any and every tip, thought or idea is welcome to start me off on this project :)

Thanks,

Shelley

• I also work at a software company, based globally. We have employing entities in 6 countries, including Portugal, UK and US. The majority of our employees are in Portugal and I understand what your US team are experiencing. We use slack to stay connected and use this for a main method of comms. We include everyone (who wants to be involved) in the decision making process of company initiatives. We have a weekly call to share company news and also monthly "local calls" to stay connected with our local teams. We do adjust benefits, ways of working etc to meet the cultural needs for teams in each country.
  • In reply to Gemma:

Echoing Gemma, do suggest that promoting corporate belonging and connectivity etc globally can still very much happen whilst deliberately leaving different countries' pay and conditions unharmonized globally but ensuring that they're kept in line with those applicable in the individual countries within which you operate. Maybe eg make a global policy decision generally to be in such as the upper quartile or even decile of local employers but otherwise don't even attempt to try and harmonize such things. Unless eg you have particular needs to maintain global uniformity, arguably / usually  it's not at all worth even trying to