HR policies - moving to a mix of home/office

Where I work are looking to move to a mix of office and home working after covid.  Previously we were 100% office based.  The HR polices I feel I need to review are:

• Working from Home
  • Health and Safety
  • Performance Management
  • Flexi Working

Can anyone else think of any others?  And would anyone have similar polices that they would be willing to share with me for similar situations.

Thank you

Jo

• Hi Jo

We've just combined all of that information into one policy and called it 'Working Flexibly'. We're moving towards managing outputs rather than hours worked - it doesn't have the full performance management side in, but it does link to our new performance management policy. It does cover H&S, ICT issues, flexi working, hot desking on site etc. It launches on 1 March so I can't send a copy yet as it's still being reviewed by managers.

Kind regards

Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi All
    We're also trying to do something similar and I would be really interested in any policies that help to frame it to staff. We're really keen to move beyond the standard pre-covid approach to remote working and get everyone (including managers) comfortable with the idea that a hybrid approach can really work for us going forward

Kind regards
    Liz

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Feb, 2021 10:31

In reply to Jacqueline:

Sounds brilliant, Jackie.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Feb, 2021 10:34

Also worth looking at this 'holistically' - beyond policies. Keith shared his WFH guide in the early days of the first lockdown...
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../working-from-home-guide---free-resource
  • In reply to Elizabeth Aldred:

When introducing a hybrid working policy there are two separate things to consider:

1. The nature of the beast itself. What does your organisation mean by hybrid and what processes are in place to support it.
    2. How will it impact on other policies? Ones which may need to be reviewed could include:

Bullying and harassment - where this may happen remotely or where someone is bullied for their choice of working arrangement;
    Carer's and Parental Leave - will there be an greater expectation of people keeping in touch or even working part-time when a homeworking option is available?
    Disability - how will you support disabled employees with remote access?
    Employee development/promotion/talent management - will it be a case of 'out of sight out of mind' where people working remotely are overlooked? Or will you have a robust process in place to ensure everyone can benefit from opportunities?
    Sickness absence - again will people be tempted/or expected to work from home if they have a minor illness when they should be resting and recuperating?

All of the latter are likely to impact the culture and what are considered normal working practices in your organisation - for better or worse!
  • Hello, We are going through a similar process and currently working on a policy and planning the consultation period. We've decided to go with a hybrid model too but we are calling it 3Plus - minimum 3 days in the office and the other days either from home or office, as some folks may wish to go in 4 or 5x per week based on feedback. As there is an option to go to the office full-time, should we offer employees IT equipment (screens, keyboard...) and furniture (chair, desks...) from a H&S perspective if requested? Since we've been all working from home we've offered temporary arrangements but curious on anyone's view once we go into a more formal hybrid approach? Thanks
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

2 Mar, 2021 10:55

In reply to Priscila:

Welcome to the Community, Priscila.
  • Jumping in on this one too - just putting together a paper for our ‘strategy team’ on introducing a hybrid model of working. It would be interesting to hear how other people are approaching this, in terms of amount of time people can work at home, any core hours etc.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

3 May, 2021 18:45

In reply to Anna:

Revisiting this thread and your great post, Anna :)
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks Steve
  • In reply to Maya:

Hi Maya,

We are now looking at the hybrid model of working and after looking at this thread, I wondered how your paper for the strategy team was received and if you have any pointers. Many thanks. Charlotte
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Jacqueline, I'm just doing some research and setting about implementing a policy on the 'ad hoc homeworking'. We work in a small manufacturing company, and have a few employees who are ordinarily office-based, and now work from home on an ad hoc basis. Getting to the point were we need to have a more defined structure.
    Would you be willing to share your working flexibly policy with me?
  • In reply to Priscila:

Priscila, I'm curious: why does your organization require 3 days, and accommodate people who want to be in the office 4 or 5 days, but won't accommodate people who only want to be in the officer for 2, 1 or even 0 days?

It strikes me that they would be on thin ice, given that they've acknowledged that the work *can* be done remotely, refusing a flexible working request for 5 days from home if all of the infrastructure is present to accommodate remote working and their only justification for requiring 3 day pw presence is a lingering sense that people "ought" to show their faces in the office one in a while.
  • In reply to Sinead:

Hi Sinead. Sorry, I've moved on from that employer now. I'd recommend something fairly light touch for your situation, if it's just a few employees and on an ad hoc basis - cover off health and safety, expectations around working hours, work life balance and how they'll communicate with others, attend meetings and be managed. ;-)