I've started my Level 3 and I feel I'm out of my depth...

Hello Everyone,

I spent many years in retail so have some basic knowledge of recruitment, right to work, investigations and the importance of how things are worded. But the I feel it hasn't really helped.

I feel like this will be challenge balancing my course work and my job (which is now office based) did anyone else feel like this? if so how did you over come it?

As I'm worried ill be the student that has 1000s of questions.

• Hi Justin

Don't panic mate, everyone feels like this. Anything new is going to generate uncertainty but let me assure you it's not a question of how much HR experience you have, the course is designed as the foundation for a career in HR, so you don't have to know anything and you'll probably discover you know more about HR than you think.

Confucius said a man who asks a question is a fool for a moment, but the man who don't ask question is fool for a lifetime. Tutors love questions, it shows that you're interested in the course and you want to do well, so bring all the questions you have to class and don't be afraid to ask them. If you can donate and hour or so a night to your studies you'll get there. There are loads of resources available too, factsheets, videos and podcasts you can listen to on the way to work. You will make friends in class and make study groups and you will find your own study style and adapt same as every student does.

Don't get hung up on making every assessment perfect either, do your best and submit it in anyway. It's like putting a car in for an MOT, you don't know what's wrong with it until a mechanic has look. You will get feedback with every submision that will help you to improve and suceed.

You deserve to be on the course, best of luck
  • Hi Justin
    It sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed by the challenge of taking your Level 3 course while balancing your job. It can be difficult to adjust to a new learning environment and feel confident in your abilities.

I want to encourage you that you have the skills and resources to be successful in this endeavor. You already have a strong foundation of knowledge from your retail experience that will be incredibly useful as you progress in your studies. As you move forward, focus on what you know and build from there.

It is also important to remember to take care of yourself during this process. Make sure to take breaks when needed and find time for activities that bring you joy. It is also helpful to reach out to family, friends, and mentors for support.

Get in touch, I can mentor you!
  • Hi Justin

I to started my level 3 in September 22 & like you feel totally overwhelmed.

I’ve been a PA /EA for 30 years which has required me to be involved throughout with a number of HR requirements, hence my thought to complete this.

Whilst the college I am completing this through are helpful, I to as a mature student fee out of my depth on occasions, whilst also doing my full time job & managing a home. I am also having to take my GCSE in English & Maths aa the course is part of the Apprenticeship Levy, which fees like I am studying every evening / weekend.

Am sure it’s not meant to be that difficult but my thoughts are pretty much aligned with you.

Keep going, am sure we will succeed
  • I started Level 3 last month and the thing that terrifies me is the assessments! Its been many years and in fact I don't think I've ever written one, more use to exams. I try to allocate small timeslots for the study, sometimes just half an hour during my lunch break and then I plan say a Sunday afternoon 2 hours. Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Firstly Justin, thank you for posting this. I feel it and I imagine anyone who's read your post will be identifying with the feeling. It transports me back to when I did my formal professional development and I felt the same feelings recently when I did a course with two exams. You are not alone.

It's natural to feel it's a steep learning curve and to be concerned about balancing it. I worked full time and did two evenings a week in the days when there was no flexibility to work from home. I had to get very organised and usually spent time travelling - doing course reading- and every Saturday morning started with reading the texts or notes.

I hope you have some good course buddies. I hope there's a forum that feels safe to ask any questions, none are ever 'silly' which we can think in our heads and make good connections. I still keep in touch with two of my course connections years later. Their perspectives then and now helped me and help me to learn. Take your time to settle and keep moving forward. You got this.
  • Hi Justin

I've felt like this too (I have quite an exasperated post on here about it!) It's going to be tough but once you get the functional skills bit out of the way it'll calm down a bit and you should feel more comfortable.

Have you talked to your line manager about how you're feeling? For starters from a wellbeing perspective they should be aware if you're having a hard time and be looking for ways to help. There may be some flexibility your employer can give you during this particularly work-heavy bit with the English and Maths. Mine for example has study leave we can make use of, up to 5 days a year. Not everyone is so fortunate, I know, but they will want you to succeed at this so it is worth their while to support you to achieve it.

I'm doing Level 5 L&D and also felt overwhelmed at the start, because the first module I had to do was really far out of my experience, all big organisational strategy type stuff that I'd had no exposure to. I also haven't written an essay for 20 years! It took me a lot longer than it was 'supposed' to as per my apprenticeship schedule, and I was absolutely convinced it was going to come back as a fail, I even privately decided to quit when it did because I couldn't face the extra work of rewrites when my cohort is moving on to another module. But this Monday I found out I passed! And only 1 mark off a high pass! Once you get to that point, where you get your first pass, you'll feel much better I promise.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Feb, 2023 10:34

In reply to Gilaine:

Congratulations, Gilaine - that's fab!

Justin, Emma... welcome to our Community and thank you for posting.

We actually want to raise the profile of these sorts of questions here. We want to create a group for Students - or rather lift it up a level so it is more prominent.

I'm wondering - should we have different sub-forums for L3, L5, L7, etc.? Also maybe a 'questions about studying' sub-forum? What do you all think? What would youy like to see?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hi Steve, I would say yes to the sub forum as we all learn differently, so having the chance to give other peoples views would be amazing.

Hi Steve, I think that's a really good idea of having sub forums, that would be most helpful.
  • Hi Justin

I have recently joined the community as a Student Member, as I will be enrolling on Level 3 shortly.

I know there is a big possibility that I will feel overwhelmed when first starting Level 3, and probably throughout at certain points; likely from juggling work and study, and having a slight phobia of academics!

Like yourself, I have basic knowledge of HR from work experience.

Please never feel worried to ask questions, it’s a huge part of the learning process - I will certainly be asking a lot :-).

In reply to Steve, that would be super helpful!

• Hi Justin,
    I completely understand, I am currently studying level 5 with a job and young child and I keep asking myself, how am I going to get this done !? I asked myself the same question with level 3 but finding it more difficult this time round. I found once I had submitted two assignments, I got into more of flow, I figured out how the assessors wanted things to be written and got better at using the course material. If I am honest, I just gave my first few assignments a go fully expecting them to need amending and resubmitting and I learnt from that. That worked for me, as odd as that sounds. You'll get it done, create some deadlines to work towards and just give the assessments a try, even if your not 100% and definitely read ALL the course material they provide you with, there is always context in there to help form your answers.
    Good luck !
  • In reply to Hannah:

Hi Justin, I did the course while doing two jobs. I had someone (not a HR person) I trusted to give me feedback on the assignment before I handed them in. Yes I felt like you too, but to get through. it is "one assignment at a time". I think looking back that you learn more and start to appreciate the HR role and what it really means. So be the best you can be now, and never stop learning.
  • Yes, I can relate. I’ve been trying to get my L5 for a while. I started it just as I started a new job, then the job took over, then got a new job and it’s pretty intense so I can’t quite find the headspace after an intense day of work.

I wish I could offer advice, but just wanted to say you’re not alone in feeling like this.

Hi Steve
    This sounds fab, im just starting my Level 7 and same as gilaine it feels very overwhelming...i did my level 3 a long time ago so it feels like starting over again. It would be great to have somewhere to post questions and also to review example work to give me an idea of what i am trying to achieve.

i think i group for all levels to discuss being a student again, study tips etc and then yes to sub forums for specific level questions

Michelle
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

17 Feb, 2023 09:55

In reply to Michelle Hazeldine:

Thanks for that feedback, Michelle... and Katy. Welcome to our Community!