L5 - key phrases and terminology

Hi everyone, 

Iam currently studying for level 5 in people management. However I seem to be getting confused by some key phrases or words used often within the people profession and would like to put forward a small statement I have wrote to see if I have used the right terminology or if infact my statement makes any sense at all . it is in reference to ethical values . 

First I will just check that this would be allowed before adding my post 

• I would go ahead and post it

• We all have different personal values however it is important for an organisation to outline its values through different avenues for example, through but not exclusive to, codes of conduct, organisational policies and corporate governance. Without these codes the organisation could be subject to unethical behaviours forming and without checks could lead to unhealthy cultures which may be harmful to the organisation, its stakeholders and society

• In reply to Charlie:

Your statement makes sense and there are no obvious examples of words used incorrectly. 

your sentence beginning “ without these codes” makes sense but is questionable - it’s not the codes that prevent the behaviour. 

but you seem to have grasped the terms. 

• In reply to Keith:

I'm curious to hear your opinion now. Would you argue its how these codes are promoted and used throughout the organisation that helps prevent such behaviours ? Or would you say its down to the individuals values , or a good mix of both within an organisation that makes for an ethical culture ? 

• In reply to Charlie:

Culture and adherence to ethics, values and general behaviours are set by so many things. Policies, codes of conduct etc play a small part. Far more important is what actually happens around the organisation. What the leaders say AND do, what middle managers say and do. How much supervisors and team leaders are allowed to do the right thing  

So many organisations have incredibly similar values ( look at a few and see if differences are anything more than semantics) and ethical policies but are incredibly different in feel and reality. 

what really gets valued gets done. Not what is in a corporate policy. Where are corners cut? Where are bad behaviours tolerated ( often in sales). 

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

5 Mar, 2022 14:25

In reply to Charlie:

Hi Charlie, there's some info here on the CIPD's values which may be of interest to see them in context in an organisational setting :) It's all about 'living the values' at the CIPD and we try to bring them into all aspects of our work. But as Keith points out, you'll probably find similar values in other orgs - there's only so many suitable adjectives in the dictionary :) https://www.cipd.co.uk/about/working-with-us/values There's also some great content on the website about culture and values generally: 
    https://www.cipd.co.uk/knowledge/culture/working-environment