• New directions for CIPD, new opportunities for the profession

Hello, and best wishes for the New Year. As the CIPD marches towards its centenary in June, we’re in a celebratory mood, looking back with pride, and a dash of nostalgia, but also firmly focused on the future. I’ve been in post here at ...
  • What’s going to happen in 2013?

One thing's for certain and that is that nothing's for certain. Whether it's the economy, the next big thing in technology, the next corporate or media scandal, or even the weather. The economic outlook for 2013 is for most commentato...
  • Loud and clear : Employers to take the lead

The last few weeks have seen some welcome and much needed progress in the skills world. The Richard Review on apprenticeships was a timely follow up to news from the Skills Minister, Matthew Hancock, that a further £150m pot of fu...
  • This year's conference - my view

Just back from this year's Annual Conference and Exhibition in Manchester. What a great event and experience! I enjoyed every moment and met so many people from so many places. Lots of great content and thanks to the many speakers who gave up t...
  • Thoughts on the CIPD - a framework for change

Time has flown by and I am now through my first 100 days as CEO and have been working on the strategic framework and priorities for us in the coming months and years. The CIPD has a lot to be proud of and there has been a lot of progress in recent y...
  • Is trading employee rights for share ownership really a way forwards?

I have been attending the Conservative Party conference this week - a first for me to attend any of these sorts of events, but important in helping to engage and get some of our messages out. We have had lots of positive discussion for example about ...
  • UK Productivity Stats – Are we really falling behind?

Although not widely reported, there were some concerning figures published by the ONS last week on UK national productivity and comparison with the G7 nations.  To quote "Output per hour in the UK was 15 percentage points below the average ...
  • Summer’s lease hath all too short a date

Sadly, Shakespeare in his famous sonnet was never more on the money than when talking about this summer. Last weekend's final blast of sunny weather and the closing of the Paralympics felt like the end to an incredible summer of sport and celebra...
  • 4G Superfast Broadband is coming your way

According to Ofcom, 4G mobile broadband will be rolled out to at least 98% of the UK population by 2017. TMobile and Orange, now united as Everything Everywhere (keep up!), were just given approval to run 4G services from next month, which has upset ...
  • Inspire a generation in to work

I'm sure like most of you, I have been totally caught up in Olympo-mania as Boris Johnson has christened it! Not only is it the excitement of the competition, but also we have seen such incredible role models for young people.I particularly love ...
  • Remembering Jackie – and building on her legacy

It’s been a challenging week as you might imagine following the very sad passing of Jackie. We have all been affected by it but it is wonderful to see all the messages and huge support that Jackie had, the impact she made, and the many friendsh...
  • Peter Cheese - An Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my blog.Having done my first two weeks as CEO here at the CIPD, I think I'm ready to enter the blogosphere!I plan to use the blogs to talk about some of the key issues and challenges we're all dealing with as a professio...