Career progression 7 months post redundancy

I could benefit from some advice please. I secured my first HR role post my MA as HR administrator and was promoted to a HR manager role within my organisation of less than 50 employees. I was made redundant after 6 years, took some time off and I am now looking to go back to work. I have been off for about 8 months and this appears to have made it difficult for me to secure my next position. I am considering especially part time roles including advisory roles but not secured any yet. The size of my organisation seems to matter a lot to potential employers as well.

Could anyone advise me on the best way forward as I would really like to get back in sooner.

• In a similar situation in the past, I found "not working" to be the biggest barrier to getting another job. I took a temp admin role, in a completely unrelated field to help out a friend, and was surprised to find that I was then a lot more employable in my professional capacity. I've no idea if the same would hold true for you, but aside from anything else, getting back into the swing of working can be helpful mentally - even if the temporary job is not in the right field or at the right level.

Otherwise, networking events are good ways to keep current and build relationships - the CIPD networks are great, as are the Institute of Directors briefings (you can attend their events for a small fee as a non-member).
    Good luck!
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thanks Nina. That is very helpful. I will look explore other options as well.
  • I would recommend getting your foot in the door as an interim and/or volunteering so there is something current on your cv.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

Hi Miranda

Following on from Peters suggestion about volunteering, that is what I have am doing in the interim. I am finding that there are very few opportunities in my area and those that do come are contracts/interim roles or, they are HR roles bound up with something else ie facilities/office manager etc.

The charity that I am volunteering for have done some pioneering work in the field that they support and I am thrilled to be contributing to it. However, needs must and I do need paid employment too so I do hope that this will help once suitable opportunities arise.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you Miranda