How to become a HR Advisor?

I am currently a HR & Admin Assistant and my dream is to become a HR Advisor.  My role at the moment is more on the Admin work then HR.  In HR I currently book training, order personal protection equipment, job ads and getting the candidate in.  I would like to know what I need to do to become a HR Advisor. 

Thank you in Advance. 

• Hi Lucy,

It sounds from the above that so far you're mostly looking after the admin aspect like you mention. How long have you been in your position?

Without making too many assumptions, I would suggest first off looking to undertake your CIPD Level 3 if you have not already done so, to build upon your foundation HR knowledge and understanding.

Alongside this or even beforehand I would recommend engaging with one of the HR Advisors, HRBP's however it is your team is structured to ask about getting involved a bit more with the HR aspect of the role when there are suitable opportunities. Examples of this might be raising new starter paperwork, minute taking in an ER meeting to understand the process, maintaining employee records.

As you begin to slowly progress you can look to keep getting involved in HR aspects more, perhaps eventually being the hr support during low level ER meetings to gradually improve your advising aspect. I don't see there being any quick, fast route to making the jump without an all round sound knowledge and being developed by those more senior in your current team.

Not much help I know, but hopefully gives you a few pointers in where to begin and i'm sure others with better ideas will be able to guide and advise further.
  • In reply to Shane Stuart:

Hi Shane

Thank you for your reply.

I have been in the role for nearly 5 years and just over 2 years helping with the HR side of things.

I have nearly finished my CIPD level 3 and was hoping to carry on to my Level 5 to help with my HR knowledge.

Thank you for answer and I will definitely taking what you have on board and be asking to get more improved in the HR.

You have been a great help!