New HR role

Hello everyone, Hope you are all keeping well. This week I have started my very first HR role as an HR Administrator and just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice for a complete beginner. I am half way through my L3 CIPD Certificate so I think is perfect to be able to put all the studying into practice. Thanks in advance :0) Irene
  • Congratulations! Hopefully you're working within a team, or alongside an HR manager? Personally, I ask new team members to keep a notebook of everything they learn about the team processes, and at the back of the notebook keep a running list of all their questions. That way you can make the most of any 1:1 time you get with your team/manager, to ask all your questions and make a note of the answers in case you need them again later. Just don't lose the notebook ;-)

Also, don't be afraid to say you don't know but can find out - nobody expects you to have all the answers immediately!
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

8 Jul, 2021 14:40

Hi Irene - great news on your new role! Here's a blog that might be useful www.cipd.co.uk/.../hr-career-advice-from-hr-consultant-natalie-ellis-rebox-hr and also these case studies give you an idea of what goes on in an HR team and areas where you may be able to support or find out more! www.cipd.co.uk/.../career-options
  • Well done on the new role! My advice would be to gain an understanding of how your role and the processes you are responsible for fit into the bigger HR picture of your department. Many of the processes you will be responsible for will link in with another area of your department whether that’s gathering completed starter forms for payroll or recording completed probationary reviews or appraisals which an advisor may require as supporting evidence in a probationary or performance management case. I feel understanding your processes and the purpose of them is really important when first starting out. Good luck in the new role!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

7 Sep, 2021 12:36

In reply to Rachel:

Welcome to the community, Rachel.