Unsure what to do following a successful interview for a Junior HR advisor role

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here but I am a regular reader of the many discussions on the community blog and have always found them very insightful and the comments helpful.

I would really appreciate some input.

I have 2 years experience in HR, mostly recruitment, foundation HR for supporting HR advisors, HR Admin and TUPE(my current and my longest job at a year). I have worked in construction, retail and training sectors, along with a few others in a non HR capacity.

I have been offered a role as a Junior HR advisor in a company in the care sector.

My question is should I take it?

I feel guilty asking this when I read so many blogs on here asking how to get on the HR Advisor ladder, which to me makes my question so difficult due to the many cons.

Pros:

-I want to be a HR advisor and get on that ladder asap.

-Great scope in the role.

- Strong chance of working up the ladder.

- Learn a lot in a team that seems geared up for development and teamwork.

- Will pay for my CIPD level 5 course at DPG which I have already started in October.

-Challenging but no doubt interesting sector to work in.

- working hours are better

-more holidays

Cons

- 2k salary decrease to £18k

- Currently doing a 1 hour commute in total, this would double at best but is likely to be worse as it's mostly motorways.

-recruitment process wasn't the best in that recruiter didn't call, wasn't a great JD on website (however ,the interview was intense and learnt a lot about the role)

- Have offered me the role but didn't say any of package in that, they are to pay for CIPD course, which for me is crucial especially with the paycut. They have left it as they will get back to me about that and I have the weekend to think about it.

My current relatively niche role as a TUPE officer is relatively samey but I also feel I would be leaving the role too soon as I was going to start on the gain/mobilisations side in December. I took on this role as when I had previously recruited HR advisors, I noticed they had TUPE experience and I wanted to check that off for my CV.

So my question is, do I suffer on the quality of life front with the commuting and financial implications in order to get on the HR advisor ladder. I'm fearful of not getting the chance again for many years and could see this as a stepping stone to a role better paid and closer to home. I don't know how to describe it best but I am comfortable at the moment in that my current salary is manageable, commute is good, work life balance is good, current role is good.

I haven't made the best career moves so far in that I have struggled to settle and have longed to work for a company that cares about its people and its customers. I have worked in hard HR environments and I feel that this jump would be more of the same just on the HR advisor ladder. My recruitment consultant, who is wonderful, has said that my CV is a portfolio one for skills and experience. I really do want to settle and just be happy and challenged in a HR advisor role but I feel this might be right job, wrong time.

Apologies for length of this, I feel at a crossroads and would welcome any help in my conundrum.

Thank you in advance!

• I have spent a lot of my life thinking about the things I never did.
    I haven't spent much time worrying about the things I did do.
  • It’s impossible to really say. How I would approach it would be to take the job I was most excited about. The one that I thought i could do best and shine at.

Generally people who enjoy their jobs, are engaged and enthusiastic do them better, get noticed and get more opportunity.

You can play things in your post both ways. The lack of great JDs ( and I really am not that much of a fan) could be seen as poor practice or it could be seen as a great opportunity to make a difference.

You have two years experience. You need to be thinking of the narrative of your career and what you will tell people in the next set of interviews after this.

If you go for the new job make sure you button down totally the package and support for training.

But either route is probably a long term good one. That’s why I would go for the one that excites me more.
  • In reply to David Perry:

Wise words!
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you for your response Keith. I appreciate your insight and I can say that the new role is definitely more interesting to me and excites me more. I think I have made a decision with it and I very much agree with you about being concrete on the package. Thanks again!
  • In reply to Niamh Garner:

I initially read the "1 hr" commute as per journey and was going to counsel against taking a job with a 2 hr commute! But as it is total commuting time, I'd say go for it. A one hr commute is manageable, many people working in London have that kind of commute, and worse. Also, do not just consider the pay cut but consider the total package - more holiday, pension etc.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

27 Nov, 2018 11:41

This is my first time posting here but I am a regular reader of the many discussions on the community blog and have always found them very insightful and the comments helpful.

Welcome, Niamh... and this is great to hear :)