CV review and tips on getting an advisor role

Hi

I’m trying to get a HR advisor role, but am finding it extremely hard even to get an interview.

I work in HR and have done a generalist role before, so have some experience. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice about what’s needed to move into an advisor role for a medium sized company?

I’d be really grateful if anyone has the time to review my CV as I’m not sure if this is what is stopping me getting an interview.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marie

• Hi Marie,

CVs are an highly influential document and can really tip the balance if well written. So yes, your CV is a good place to start:-

it is really important that your CV accurately and thoroughly reflects your HR experience and skills - all of it! Be sure to include any projets or ad-hoc work you have been involved with too. And be sure to give context to your role, organisation and responsibilities so the reader can understand the organisational context you worked in too. Make sure all key words are on included in your CV and it is clearly presented (don't over complicate it), flows well, is easy to read and presents your personal career journey - you don't want to just regurgitate your Job description - add the sizzle too! It's that detail that attracts the Reader's eye and differentiates you from the competition. And that's the secret!

If you are already in HR, I expect you will have seen a few CVs yourself - so think about what works for you and what doesn't - and the other important thing is - how long do you take to appraise a CV? in reality it is only a matter of seconds, so it's really important that your CV makes a particularly good first impression and the Reader sees the 'sizzle' instantly. Again - its about setting yourself apart from the crowd.

Hope that helps. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
    Ginnie Riley