Gaining an HR Officer role - Proving to be challenging

Can you please advise?

I am applying for HR Officer roles in the North East since I have qualified to Assoc CIPD and its proving to be challenging.  I have 15 months of HR Administrator experience working for various different employers on temporary contracts to enable me to widen my existing knowledge and to put my skills into practice.  I used to be a recruitment consultant/account manager for many years and have previously been successful in other sales roles. 

I have been advised to change my c.v. to read as 'an achiever' which I have done.  I have had a few interviews with very positive feedback but no job offer.  I have recently applied to a previous employer that I worked for on a short term contract who are recruiting for an HR Administrator/HR Officer.  I have not been short-listed for an interview even though I received a very good reference.  This I have found very disappointing!

I would really appreciate some advise.  I have attended an CIPD conference which was held in March in Durham which I was hoping to network and gain some contacts however this did not materialize. However it was a very interesting event.  It has been since 4 weeks since I qualified.  I have tried to network via LinkedIn with other HR professionals and have not receive any responses.  I am keeping positive and I am really determined to gain a permanent contract as an HR Officer. 

I would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks again.

Julie Lamb

• Hi Julie
    It sounds as if you are doing the right things and just need to persevere. The one thing I would suggest is making contact with your local CIPD branch to network with HR professionals near you.