Next step up the ladder.. when were you ready?

Hi all,

I've posted a similar post to this in the past so please forgive me if it sounds slightly repetitive! 

How long were you all in your first, entry level HR position before you moved up? I've been HR Admin for 3 and a half years now and am L3 qualified. Prior to that I have 2 years recruitment experience (admin/resourcing/some account management).

I recently interviewed for a HR admin position and I think the company was a bit surprised that I was still considering HR admin positions. Whilst I am keen to develop and progress, I still feel like I have some way to go before jumping up the ladder - and even then I'm not sure what the next step would be? HR Coordinator? Officer?

How long were you all in your first HR role for before taking the next step up? What key things should I be looking for in my next role in terms of progression and development? I love admin and enjoy it but do want something a bit more challenging and to learn new skills - and if I'm honest, I'm a little bit over being the office run around - I would like more authority and capacity to make decisions. Can I jump up a step and learn these skills along the way, or do I need them under my belt before I attempt to apply for something more senior? Or - is 3 and a half years not that long, and should I wait a wee while longer?

I hope this makes sense! Am feeling a bit static in terms of my career and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Joni 

• Hi Joni

In terms of preparing you for that 'next step' I wonder if you can get more exposure to more mid level HR duties with your current organisation? This might give you that confidence you need to make that 'leap' to another company and a step up the ladder in job spec.

There are companies that look to develop individuals but such opportunities are not necessarily a regular occurrence.

When you look at your next role, start looking at the duties outlined and the scope of that role - I find that job titles and the duties assigned to them can vary in different industries and sectors. It is quite possible that you might see another HR Administrator role that has a broader scope than your role currently has OR you could see a role such as a HR Officer where the requirement is X amount of years as an HR Administrator.

I took 2 HR Administrator jobs one after the other and the reasons for me were to do with getting experience in different industries and the scope of the job - whilst the job titles were the same the second was wider in scope and had much more of a platform for development opportunities.

I wish you good luck in your finding the right path for you.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Apr, 2018 13:41

Another thread that 'keeps on giving' :)