Seeking CPD advice - level 5 nearly complete, employer views HR as admin function

Hi all,

I am in the process of assessing my CPD needs in line with the new profession map and in some areas I am finding myself stumped as to how I can develop myself. The organisation I work for views HR as purely an admin function so we are not involved in any decision making, strategising, change management etc. I am a couple months away from completing my level 5 diploma. I have textbooks and I am happy to read CIPD factsheets etc, but I am conscious that this won't help me gain experience in my development areas. I have reached out to my local branch about becoming a mentoree although I am under the impression that they don't facilitate this, and still I am conscious this won't give me experience. Does anybody have an ideas or tips? I don't want to spend the next two years waiting for my agreement to end before I can get stuck in to my career!

Thanks in advance!

• I don't know what your company structure is and who else is involved in the HR team, but it's not necessarily a barrier to progression to be viewed as admin, it's just a challenge!

Are there things that you have learnt about on your course that you could suggest implementing or changing? Can you put some of your learning into action? Could you work alongside managers or other functions? Can you help to open their eyes to the possibilities within HR?
  • In reply to Polly:

Hi Polly, thanks for your reply! Sorry, I should have explained further in my original post. Those in power are not interested to listening to anyone who doesn't already sit on their table. I am in the process of writing some policies and putting together an employee handbook although these have to go through the QMS before they can be implemented. Things that are already perceived to be a HR task, we have control over, how we run inductions for example. But for example, 121s and training systems we aren't involved in, benefits packages "we don't need", culture "isn't a problem".

It is just myself and one other dealing with HR, alongside Accounts.
  • In reply to Sophie:

I think you have to seize the opportunities where you can find them. Induction, for example, is such a massively important part of engaging new staff, and can be a factor in engagement and retention - so I wouldn't call that just an admin task! You said you're writing policies and a staff handbook, again those are crucial in setting cultural and organisational expectations.

I'm not sure what the nature of your organisation's business is, but identifying ways you can help them achieve their core objectives will more likely provide you with opportunities. For example, do you do exit interviews? If you don't; this could be a place to start, it's something you and your HR colleague can handle so no burden on anyone else, and you can start gathering data. If you find out that people are leaving because they are not getting development and progression opportunities, you now have a financial case for introducing more L&D (because it's almost certainly cheaper than recruiting for and training a brand new staff member).

That's just an example, but using real data and examining the problems your own business is facing, will make your suggestions for change more relevant to those in charge.