Progression post CIPD Level 5 qualification

Anyone else struggling to progress even after achieving level 5 In Human Resource management?  After qualifying, employers now want experience but with many organisations unwilling to give me an opportunity, I can't help but feel the qualification wasn't worth getting.

• Dede

Welcome to the communities.

If you do a search on here you will find countless people in a similar situation and lots and lots of good advice. Mostly around networking, volunteering and being very very persistent.

Qualifications are generally very worth getting but they are not golden tickets rather they are part of what’s needed to progress. Qualifications and progress are the dual ingredients.

Keep trying and look at some of that past advice.

Keith.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith.
  • In reply to Dede:

Hi Dede,
    I replied to another similar post on this - stick with it, use LinkedIn, tailor your CV, ask for specific feedback from applications you have made and ask around, perhaps there are people you know who could use some HR support. Seek out volunteer opportunities.
    CIPD branch events are great for networking too. Your qualification is absolutely worth it but as Keith said, not an immediate way in.
    Lorraine
  • Just want to say that I qualified last September and it opened up more job opportunities, but i did also have HR experience, now I am an HR Advisor and tested every day, with a great new boss who is very experienced and knowledgeable. Stick with it and don't give up.
  • Second others who have recommended CIPD branch events, also depending where you are based you may find other HR networking events, seminars etc (in London there are loads!)

No qualification alone is going to get you a job, what is your previous relevant experience and what level are you trying to apply for?

Are there ways you can use your new knowledge in your current position? Are there sideways steps you could take in the organisation you're in?

If you're not currently in an HR-related role, getting an initial role at a more junior level could be a way to help build up experience and achievements that can help your CV for a more senior position.
  • In reply to Polly:

I am currently involved in TUPE transitions in my current role. I am looking to to get more involved in HR Project Management and I have completed my Prince 2 Foundation course. My background is Learning and Development administration.
  • In reply to Lorraine:

Thank you Lorraine. I am currently part of the Northamptonshire CIPD Branch and support as treasurer. I also attend events which are great for networking. I am looking to get more into HR Project management so seeking opportunities in that area.
  • Hi Dede,
    I was very much the same at the start of my HR career, trying to transition from a retail career. One thing I did was volunteer my time to a local charity and was able to provide them with written policies, contracts etc and then was able to use this on my CV as experience. Something similar may help if you're able to volunteer some time :)

Good luck!