Career path advice

Hello all,

I am currently a HR Assistant with a desire to pursue a career in Compensations and Benefits/Reward, however there are not many entry level positions in this field. My intention is to therefore move from a HR Assistant to possibly a HR Advisor and then from this more senior position move into benefits and compensation. I am wondering whether anyone thinks this is the most straightforward career path I could take or are there other avenues I am not considering? I also note that many HR Advisory positions require experience already in Advisory and Employment Law rather than having opportunities for development and training as an HR Advisor. My most recent employer had very strict public sector rules and so I was unable to shadow our HR Advisors. With this in mind would anyone have any suggestions as to how I could bridge the gap between HR Assistant and HR Advisor levels? Would you also have any advice with regards compensation and benefits? To give you a background I have a masters degree in HRM and have an Associate accreditation with the CIPD. I also have 2 years experience in the public sector working as an HR Assistant. 

Thanks 

• Personally I would hate C&B but my real concern is that it is a bit niche and I would only ever recommend it as a sideways move to gain breadth within an existing employer. before getting back to real HR
    If I were you I would focus on getting an HR Advisor role and take it from there.