Changing from LD to HR

Hi there 

I am looking for some advice re change of career. I have worked in the LD field for over 25 years and I have loads of experience and LD qualifications. I worked in the NHS for 18 years as a Learning and Development Manager. I left a couple of years ago to manage a small charity as I felt I needed a change. The post was not what I thought it would be and I resigned a year later to take up my current role of Training Co-ordinator in the charity sector. As a result of Covid 19 there is a strong possibility of redundancy. 

There are not many LD/training jobs where I live so I am thinking of making the transition to HR as there are so many more jobs.I need some advice on how to do this. The main qualifications I have are: Masters in Public Administration, Postgraduate Diploma in the Leadership and Management of Health and Social Care, BA Hons in Business Studies including HR modules, CIPD NVQ Level 4 in Learning and Development, Further and Adult Education Teaching Certificate. Obviously you can see that I don't have any generic HR qualifications. I studied a HR qualification on the "old system" for a year over 20 years ago but did not pass the exam and then went down the LD route and Management route , as I taught Leadership and Management in the NHS and also where I currently work. Whilst working in the NHS I did work in the HR Directorate and as a result have a good knowledge of HR. I went on a briefing session in January on some aspects of Employment Law and I knew most of it. 

My questions are:

Working as an HR Advisor position where you are advising staff/managers what sort of questions are you asked? 

When a job advert says' CIPD qualified' in the case of an HR Advisor does that mean Level 3.5 or 7? 

My local university does a Employment Law and Practice postgrad certificate would it be better to do this or CIPD to work as an HR Advisor?

Many thanks for your help.

• Hi Elaine,

My thoughts below on your questions:

1. When working as a HR Advisor you can be asked any number of questions from the sublime to the ridiculous! Your best bet is to have a good solid knowledge of employment law and best practice so you can answer questions about sickness absence, disciplinary grievance, maternity/paternity/adoption etc. it sounds like you already have a good knowledge so you have a great starting point.

2. When a job advert says CIPD Qualified but doesn't specify a level, I would suggest they don't mind whether you have 3,5 or 7, if they did, they would be more specific.

3. My suggestion would be to do a CIPD qualification as it is very well recognised in the industry. With all of your qualifications I think you could do level 7 but it might be worth starting at 5 to give you a good starting point for changing career direction. You could always do 7 later if you wanted to.

And finally, best of luck, I recently went from L&D back into HR and I'm very glad about it!
  • In reply to Charmaine Greaves:

Hi Charmaine

Thank you for taking the time to answer I really appreciate this and your reply is very helpful.

Kind regards

Elaine