HR Apprenticeship

Hi, I am looking towards up apprenticeship for my next career move (HR Advisor)at work and wanted to know what it this will mean, I only thought apprenticeships are for students who have just left universities . Any information on apprenticeships for career progression will be helpful. Thanks Ann

• Anyone can do an apprenticeship at any age, you just need to find a company who will put you through one which comes the hard part as they are sought after and highly competitive. Maybe your current employer would be will to put you through one?
  • Thanks Fiona, yes they are, does it mean apprenticeship is studying for a qualification ?for example studying to obtain a level 7 qualification.
  • In reply to Ann :

It would be unusual to find an apprenticeship studying towards Level 7 - at least from the outset.

Apprenticeship is, first and foremost, a form of employment. An apprentice is an employee in every conventional sense. But in order to attract the financial support companies are entitled to for official apprentices, they must also be enrolled on a recognized National Vocational Qualification course with a participating provider.

One of the most challenging aspects facing potential apprentices is that, because they are jobs, most employers offer them like jobs: i.e. when they need them, rather than in-step with the academic year, like conventional full-time education. So a student finishing school in July who wants to undertake an apprenticeship won't always be able to find the one they want, starting in September.

In addition, most employers offer apprenticeships starting at Level 3 or Level 4, because there tends to be an assumption that apprentices are starting at the bottom, in terms of skills and knowledge. This means that most apprenticeships are essentially useless for university graduates who already hold a qualification equivalent to a Level 5+. I have previously started graduates on Level 3 apprenticeships but the vast majority will not stay the course, only using the role until they can secure something more apposite to their qualifications.

HR Apprenticeships at Level 3 are relatively few and far between, because HR is so closely embedded in the management and leadership of a company - few businesses are willing to entertain what is typically a school leaver that close to the cupboards with the skeletons in. Apprenticeships at Level 5 and above tend to not exist at all, because the assumption is that an HR professional is already working in an operational role when undertaking such a course and, although a release to attend courses and time during working hours for papers might be permitted, the employee won't count as an apprentice or attract apprenticeship funding.

The exception is with large learning-oriented business (I have GE on my doorstep, and they're a good example) that welcome apprentices on, for example, Engineering or Business Management tracks starting at Level 3 and permits (indeed, encourages) apprentices to specialize as they go up the levels to post-graduate qualification levels. So an apprentice in Business Management could start doing a Level 3 in Business Administration before specializing in HR and pursuing the course up to CIPD Level 7, after which they would be offered a role in one of GE's international HR teams.

Whilst apprentices are technically for anyone of any age, most apprentices are either school leavers (16+ or 18+), bachelors degree graduates (21+), or university drop-outs (in the nicest possible way - people who found that the university style of learning didn't suit them) (19+). A candidate older than about 23 is probably going to need to have to work quite hard to persuade a selection panel that they are planning to pursue the apprenticeship without compromise.
  • very well articulated Robey :)

• Hi Ann

Your company may be willing to support you in an apprenticeship and either receive 95% funding if non levy paying or use the levy if they pay it.

There are HR apprenticeships at level 3 (HR Support), level 5 (HR Consultant Partner) and level 7 (Senior People Professional). Details on all can be found on

findapprenticeshiptraining.apprenticeships.education.gov.uk/courses

Happy to discuss further.
  • Hi Ann
    I am currently just finishing my CIPD level 5 on the apprentice route which my company have paid for using the levy fund. I attended my local college 1day a week to obtain the CIPD qualification alongside working.
  • Hi Ann

There is still this stereotype that apprenticeships are only for school leavers which is totally incorrect. As those on this thread have said anyone can do an apprenticeship.

I did my Level 5 CIPD qualification through an apprenticeship and I’m now actually doing my Level 7 CIPD qualification through an apprenticeship. You do however need to explore what your employer offers as the Level 7 can be quite tricky to find. Prior to January this year I worked for a different employer who didn’t offer the Level 7 so I started self funding but when I changed companies they offered to fund me to do my apprenticeship as like yourself I’m currently in an advisory role and it’s for my career development.

I love doing apprenticeships as it ensures you’re putting your learning and skills into practice where as a bog standard course just doing assignments doesn’t really give you that opportunity.

I’d be happy to take this chat offline to share more of my experience if you wish.

Best of luck in the meantime.
  • It also means that you have to do an end point assessment at the end of your apprenticeship which includes a project report and a professional discussion on the behaviours that you have learnt in the course. You have to give examples of where you have done this etc
  • Thanks Cheree, I am happy to have a chat offline to learn from your experience
  • Hi Ann,
    I started a Level 3 HR Support Apprenticeship a couple of months ago- my employer wanted to support my learning and I am doing my Apprenticeship online. I've been working for 30+ years so am definitely not a college leaver!! I am loving the Apprenticeship, it's online so fits in with my work, I have schedule study time weekly and love that I am learning while I work.
    Good Luck.
    Moira
  • I wasn't clear from your post but it looks like you are an associate-level currently and looking to do a L7. If so, you can do an apprenticeship in your current role (as long as your role is aligned and will give you the opportunity to embed your learning) as an upskilling opportunity. If your employer pays into the levy they can either get the training for free or for a small sum. They just have to commit to giving you at least 6 hours a week towards your studying! there would be not change to your role or salary. If you are on a FTC it just needs to last for the duration of the programme. If you are looking for a new job as an apprenticeship, likelihood salary will be at the apprenticeship rates and doubtful that a L7 would be offered to a new employee, my company have always done L3 and L5 traditionally and L7 is for perm employees upskilling.