Opportunity to develop a less experienced colleague

Hello CIPD community

I have been given a fantastic opportunity to develop a colleague who has recently achieved her CIPD level 3.  The person joined our organisation just under two years ago and in that time has shown a real enthusiasm for HR along with the skills required to be successful in our field. 

There are two goals for the project:

1. Allow development into a position of HR Advisor. 

2. Evidence the process to support my Experience Assessment application to Chartered Member. 

I have lots of ideas fizzing away in my head and would like to be thorough and compare them with resources recommended by colleagues.  I plan to use the Profession map as part of the draft plan which I would then share before discussing and finalising together. 

Do colleagues have any other suggestions, links or reading I could undertake to ensure I offer a really great development opportunity?

Thank you in advance. 

• Hi Charlotte

Speaking from the position of the person you'll be mentoring, I can say that one of the most beneficial things my previous mentor ever offered me was a safe environment to make mistakes and learn from them. We would often have chats about articles we had read or webinars we had seen which helped me to put what I had learned from my CIPD qualifications into context.

I think sharing as much as you can about the business with them will help too, and using previous examples of things you've done and why you went down the routes you did will help their overall experience. Also asking for her advice will help develop her confidence and hopefully she'll feel able to actively participate in discussions with stakeholders etc and her career will build from there.

You sound quite excited about what lies ahead for you both which is a fantastic attitude to have as there are some that would see this as a bit of a burden so you're already miles ahead than them in the mentor game!

Best of luck to you both :)