Tips & guidance before job interview

Hi everyone :)

So I've recently obtained my Level 3 in HR Practice, I've never worked in HR before but I'm very eager to get myself into the profession.

I've got a job interview coming up this Wednesday for a HR admin role and I'm quite nervous. This is the first interview I've managed to bag for a HR role (putting it down to the lack of experience in the sector) so I'm going in blind as to the type of questions that'll be asked. When I spoke to a member of the HR team confirming my attendance, they told me there would be a short task on the day. Can anyone advice me on what this task may be? I want this so badly and I don't want to go in there and freeze or look silly and unprofessional. 

So any tips and guidance would be greatly appreciated,  thank you!

• Firstly well done on getting an interview. The short task on the day may be something along the lines of looking at key skills that are needed for the role.
    I've used a in-tray exercise in the past for administrative positions. So that will look at your prioritisation, accuracy, or even planning. If you google HR in-tray exercises I'm sure some examples will come up. What ever the short task is, take your time, digest what is being asked of you, and if unsure of anything ask.
  • Hi Niamh,

Congratulations on getting the interview.

The recruiting manager will see from your CV that you do not have any HR experience, but I would expect them to ask you about what you studied on your level 3 - what you enjoyed and why, how you think you might put what you have learnt into practice etc. I expect that they will want to know if you are a fit for the organisation - they will probably want to see that you are willing to learn and will bring the attributes that they are looking for - so for example if the job advert/role profile talks about specific attributes that they are looking for then prepare some examples of where you have demonstrated that in either previous work experience or in your studies.

In terms of the task, it could be anything but I think Julia's guess is probably right - some type of exercise that asks you to prioritise the tasks, it may test your written skills - eg write a letter to change someones salary etc.

They probably are not looking for perfect - they know you dont have any HR experience but they will be looking to see how you approach the task. So take a deep breath, take your time to read through all the instructions before you start and dont rush it.

Just because this is a job that you really want, you shouldnt approach it any different from any other interview (I am sure that you normally act professionally and dont look silly!). Show your passion for why you want to make HR your career and let your personality show through.

Good luck!
  • As with any interview, the questions are likely to be framed around the person specification, so spend your time preparing there. Use the spec to identify something you can talk about, that you have done, that demonstrates each attribute clearly. Practice saying it out loud (in the shower, driving in the car ...), and if you have someone you feel comfortable with, get them to 'mock' interview you. Listen to whether you are saying 'I' or 'we' (some of us have a tendency not to claim credit for things we have actually done ourselves - and others claim too much credit for things we've been on the periphery of, so it's worth being clear about your specific role), and use examples from different areas of your life if you can.

If you find you freeze in the interview itself, ask them to repeat the question and give yourself time to think. If you're not sure whether you've answered a question or not - ask them.

Plan yourself an 'opener' and practice that in advance - something you can respond to a warm up question about who you are and why you're interested in the role, which will often kick things off. Think of the key things you could bring to the role that perhaps other applicants won't, and make sure all those points are in there. If you can respond confidently to the first question, smile, make good eye contact and relax, you'll be on a roll.

Finally, confidence is so important. I do volunteering work for a charity called Smart Works which helps disadvantaged women with job interviews - putting them together a smart, professional outfit that makes them feel good, and providing interview coaching. While there are strategies that can help with answering questions clearly and concisely, the most important factor for them is confidence because if you feel strong and positive, that will come across and help you project the right things about yourself well. As well as wearing clothes that make you feel professional and smart, being as relaxed as you can will help your body language say the right things about you.

One additional tip, from a sales director I worked with years ago - don't sit down in reception when you arrive (bear with me). He said that if you sit in a reception waiting area, when the interviewer (prospect) comes out to meet you there, you're immediately at a disadvantage because you're trying to get up out of a chair, collect your things together, balance the water you've been given etc, as well as making eye contact, shaking hands etc. If you stand in reception, when the interviewer comes out you'll be on a level with them, with your bag etc ready to go, and able to make an immediate connection. I don't claim any credit or validity for the science behind that tip, but if it works for you, use it!
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

3 Jul, 2018 17:04

Hi Niamh some great tips here from community members and hope you'll be able to come back after the interview and let us know how it went! You may not have found this on our website www.cipd.co.uk/.../succeeding-interviews also these case studies about different HR roles: www.cipd.co.uk/.../career-stories