Should you tell your employer that you're looking for a new job?

Working in HR for many years has left me with a conviction that I can only help a person if I know what they really want.  Lying or being economical with the truth is the surest pathway to poor decisions.

So when I discuss my career needs and decisions with a Line Manager, if I'm unhappy I'm inclined to be honest about it.  But if I know that my current employer can't meet my needs and, as as result, I'm looking for work elsewhere, should I tell them that?

I've always had very open conversations about this sort of thing with my line managers and subordinates, but others I know - outside HR but in a wide range of industries and roles - consider this to be an absolute no-no and are horrified by the ease with which I talk about career aspirations within my circle.  When I've pressed them to explain why they consider it to be such a red-line issue, they're struggled to articulate anything concrete but there seems to be a wide belief that telling your employer that you're looking elsewhere is career suicide, that you'll be the first to be made redundant and that you'll be sidelined from anything important.  Of course, I can imagine that an employer would want to exclude a potential leaver from commercially sensitive work, but isn't it more professional to say "I'm probably leaving, so don't put me on that thing because I won't finish it" than to lie about it then leave your employer in the lurch?

I can't decide if I'm hopelessly naive and trusting about this or if my friends are unnecessarily cynical.

Any thoughts?  What sort of risk might you expose yourself to by being honest about your career plans with your boss?

• In reply to Robey:

This is such an interesting topic, thank you for bringing this up Robey. I have to say I agree with you on the succession planning part. I chose to leave my Senior HR Advisor position of 2 years and handed my notice in just over a month ago after attending an interview for another position closer to home.

Had I waited until now to hand my notice in I would have left my line manager (who I have a good working relationship with) in the lurch. I'm so glad I did mention as they've been very open and honest with me regarding recruiting for my replacement (once the initial shock of my departure had dispersed). It's also given her the opportunity to look at the department and see what other support is needed, she has taken on my views on what's needed amongst her own, that of the new HRM and the workload we have.

I couldn't imagine leaving her in the lurch or giving a short notice "see ya later" given how much work we have on, I've made it my mission to leave the place knowing I have done as much as possible to minimise the workload. Not only that, by my manager has been an incredible support to me both professionally and personally in the past two years.

I do understand where others are coming from as in the past I have held off telling my line management I was unhappy, despite knowing it was probably written all over my face. I think it depends on the type of company you are with and if you feel it won't be held against you.
  • I am the HR Advisor in a school, and in education it is absolutely frowned upon if teachers do not tell the Head they are looking elsewhere, and career development is positively encouraged, even if it means a good member of staff moving on . Teachers are expected to discuss career aspirations and also to notify the Head if they have applied for positions elsewhere. This seems a very healthy, open state of affairs to me, and means that it is recognised that good teachers should not be obstructed in their careers. Heads will usually give positive advice and support to any teacher who asks for it with regard to interviews, career path etc etc. I guess not taking it personally if someone wants to move ahead with their career is the key.
  • In reply to Lesley Woodward:

Lesley, I also work in education, I am interested to know if you feel this is the same for support staff who want to move on/progress? Are they usually honest in their approach like teachers are expected to be?
  • In reply to Francesca:

Hi Francesca
    No - I don't think the same applies on the whole to associate staff, as we call them, although those in very senior roles tend to be more so. Other staff do tend to present a fait accompli as in other sectors.
  • Hi

In my current role (im on a FTC) ive always made it clear that I am looking and should the right role come along I will be leaving.

My manager has always been supportive and I guess theres a part of her that knows if a member of her team can move on to bigger and better opportunities then she has done a good job in training that person which in turn has helped them to move on

All the best