Not offered role due to Paternity Leave

My husband and I are expecting a baby mid-August. He applied for a role which would start on the 29th July and the first 4 weeks would require classroom based training. As part of ongoing conversations, he mentioned to the in-house recruiter that he was expecting his first child in August, they passed on their well wishes etc and that was that. He proceeded to have 2 interviews, told he was perfect for the role and that he was going to be sent an offer letter. A few days later the recruiter told him that they would not offer him the position because A) he wouldn't be able to cope with training and a newborn ("especially as this is your first") and B) he wouldn't be able to complete the 4 weeks of training because of paternity leave. Regarding point B, he asked what would happen if someone was sick, had a bereavement, accident etc, during the training which resulted in them unable to complete the 4 weeks. He received a rather vague respone which didn't clarify anything and was told that a similiar role would be available in January and he wouldn't need to re-interview. 

I suppose I am not asking for advice, just wanted to share this experience with the community and wondered what your views were?

• The not cope argument is poor/discrimination
    The other argument might have legs.(just)
    What do you want to do?
  • Given babies rarely arrive when expected, he might have finished the course by the time he/she shows up. Plus it is possible to choose to take paternity leave up to 56 days after the birth, so if he and you decide its best, he can delay his paternity leave until after the course. Given these variables, not offering him the role based on the assumption he will definitely be on paternity leave during the course is ludicrous! They have no idea what other support you have from your family as well so they really can't presume you and he can't cope!
  • It’s direct discrimination do the company have an equality advisor?
  • This doesn't seem like a good experience so far so I'm wondering if your husband has had a lucky escape. If this is how he has been treated before he has started working for the company, he may prefer not to join them and apply for roles elsewhere.