CIPD L7 qualified 2 years ago... still not managed to land myself any jobs in HR

I acquired my CIPD level 7 certificate 2 years ago, yet I still have not managed to land myself any jobs in HR entry level positions.Seems like even for HR admin level jobs employers are looking for someone with 1/2 years HR experience. How one is suppose to gain any experience without getting an opportunity to work at entry level position? And if some one has 1/2 years HR admin level experience then wouldnt make more sense for them to look for something better given most entry level HR positions are offering same level of rewards. Even some customer service positions offer more monetary value then HR assistant positions . Hope you experts can give me some answers.

• Hi Numan

There are loads of threads on the Communities about this - it's probably the question that gets asked most often. If you have a look at some of those threads you'll see there's some great advice about how to go about getting that experience. Mostly it comes down to being persistent, thinking creatively about which jobs might give you the experience you need and just getting a little bit lucky.

Kind regards and good luck

Jackie
  • I'm in a bit of a similar dilemma myself. I'm transitioning into HR from another career, following redundancy. I'm studying for the level 5 Diploma whilst applying for entry-level jobs as I have loads of transferable skills but no direct HR experience. My question is: How do you get your foot in the door when you haven't got direct HR experience?
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Thanks, Jackie. Excellent advice. Just keep trying then and get creative!
  • Thanks :) yea seems like luck has been sailing in other direction for me
  • In reply to Numan Ahmed:

Hi Numan
    As Jacqueline said, this question gets asked a lot. What are you currently doing for work? Are there any tasks/responsibilities in your current role that could relate to HR in future? For example, in customer service or supervisory roles there are cross-overs.
    While Level 7 is an impressive level of learning, the types of things you have studied are not necessarily so relevant to an entry-level HR post that you may be applying for. For example, my HR administrator doesn't have any formal training yet in HR, but she has a great attitude, very empathetic and good relationships with colleagues, extremely organised and her attention to detail is second to none. I don't need her have a level 7 degree of knowledge just yet, but the personality and character traits are unteachable. Her previous experience was as an office manager, and so she had already got useful experience of running induction sessions, dealing with confidential information, and supporting colleagues, all of which are relevant. Sometimes its a case of finding a job you can get, and shaping your experience there to try and fit the job you want in future. Good luck!