Networking for an HR role in the Manchester area

My Story 

I have a level 7 degree in HR with an Associate membership to CIPD. Here is my story. I am trying to change careers I worked in Social Work for 10 years in the USA and burned out of the career, I went to Dublin City University in Ireland and got a Masters in Human Resource Management. I graduated in Nov. 2015.

After graduation I did an unpaid internship in HR, had many interviews in Ireland but to no avail. I went all of 2016 with no HR jobs still, then I got a online orders job at Harvey Norman and was laid off after Christmas and my Mother died in the USA as well while I was in Ireland.

Now I'm in the USA with my Father and I am done with looking in Ireland and I am going to the Manchester area for hopes I can still get going and get into this field. I have never been to the UK and was hoping to get help from someone like yourself to get assistant with networking in the area. I will be in the area on June 1. I hope the wheel of life will turn in my direction soon.

Sincerely,

Eric Gaylord in the USA

• Hi Eric,
    I'm sorry to hear about your mum. My first question, and forgive me it's not meant to sound rude, but do you already have the right to work in the UK? (Just making an assumption if you are American, and therefore may not yet have this). If you do, are you making this very clear on your applications?

Annabel
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

10 Mar, 2017 11:21

Hi Eric and welcome to the Community.

What especially appeals about the UK (after setbacks in Ireland)? I notice you are "French-American", so did you consider Canada or France, too? (Apologies for the rather crass questions... just trying to glean more about your motivations).

I've edited the title of your post so hopefully it will attract more attention... and moved it to the 'Careers Clinic' from a 'closed' group. Hope that's OK?

• In reply to Annabel:

Annabel,

I have the right to work in the UK because I have a French visa. My Mother was French and my Father is American. I'm a dual citizen with a French passport and an American one as well. On the first page of the CV I always put down I am a EU passport holder and have the legal right to work in the UK. I just can not get started in this field. I need to find other Members in the Manchester, UK area to help me with networking. I know nobody there. I will be arriving in the UK on June 1st . Ireland did not work hopefully the UK will. Its nice being with my Father in the States after years not seeing him, but I am totally not marketable in the USA anymore. CIPD is not used in the USA its SHRM and now I have 3 years EU work history, with a Masters in HRM and CIPD. I want to use this degree badly at this point. Is there any tips or advice you can give me at this point? I am at a total loss.

Kind Regards,

Eric Gaylord
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Mr. Bridger,

I have worked so hard on this degree, I want to make it work. I looked into Canada but it is a long process to immigrate 6 months and more money. CIPD is not used there as well. France would be wonderful too, but I grew up in the US and do not speak French, I'm sorry to say unless there are English speaking jobs there you know about I do not. In the UK at least my CV is more marketable, I can work with my EU passport, get assistance from CIPD and health care assistance. I am considering all my options at this point. Canada has an express entry program, but it is a 6 month process. Any tips or advice from you? Does Canada accept CIPD?

Kind Regards,

Eric Gaylord
  • In reply to Eric Gaylord:

Hello Eric, welcome to the UK and to Manchester. Thé CIPD Manchester Branch organises a number of events for CIPD members, business professionals and students. You can find out more about our diverse programme by visiting Eventbrite.com and searching CIPD Manchester.

Our next event , scheduled for June 6th and will focus on Gender and transitioning in the workplace. This event is part of our series of Inclusive Workplace events. We have speakers affiliated with the Sarkle Charity and a professor from MMU (Manchester Metropolitan University)

We are currently working on an event scheduled for July 5th which will focus on the UK's Hidden Talent Pool e.g. people in a similar situation to yourself who choose to change direction but encounter barriers.

MyHRcareers run networking events for HR professionals in London and a few times a year in Manchester. There is also ConnectingHR which I believe meets at the RainBar in Manchester though I am not sure of the frequency.

Please do make yourself known to us at any future events you attend. In the meantime we are all regularly tweeting and blogging from our personal accounts and @CIPDManchester.

Rebecca
  • In reply to Rebecca:

To Everyone in the CIPD community in the Manchester UK area:

I graduated with a Masters in HR with CIPD back in 2015. In 2016, I did an internship in HR in Dublin, Ireland unpaid. After this period the rest of 2016 I could not find a job. My mother died in the United States at the end of 2016. I decided to go back to the United States to spend time with family. In September 2017 I decided to try the UK this time to get my first HR job. It has been a nightmare. I have not only been without a HR job I don't know how to get a job. In 10 months in the United Kingdom I have been on Job Seekers allowance and do not know how to get an HR interview let alone a job in anything. I am very frustrated and recruiters do not help. I thought this degree and CIPD would help my life but it has not it has made my life worse. I am 25, 000 us dollars in debt and spent another 12, 000 dollars over here in the UK just trying to get a job. I am near homelessness at this point and I'm very angry. Can someone out there help me with work in the Manchester area. I want to work so bad and do not know what to do anymore. I do not know anyone here and need a break in the worst way. My phone number in the Manchester Area is [removed by moderator]. Can someone please help and show me a way into HR or some job.

Sincerely,

Eric Gaylord Long term unemployed HR graduate in the Manchester Uk Area

Eric, follow this link www.cipd.co.uk/.../job-guides. and please do get in touch with me at the CIPD Manchester Branch manchester@cipdbranch.co.uk REBECCA
  • In reply to Rebecca:

Rebecca,

Is that where I can email you? Manchester@cipdbranch.co.uk I just do not know what to do anymore and I am at the end of my rope. I feel unemployable at this point with the Masters Level 7 Cipd HR degree. I have not worked now since the end of 2016 in Ireland. My CV gap is a year and a half now. Employers in the UK just want nothing to do with me. I can not even get a job here. I am very upset and angry at this point. Going every week to the Job centre plus in the UK has just become the way of life for me now. This is all I know of the UK. I had some interviews last year, but now nothing. What do I do?

Thank you Eric Gaylord
  • Hi Eric

Have you signed up to any recruitment agencies in the local area and advised you're free for both temp and perm work? That will help you get a job (not necessarily HR), and I've always found it's easier to find a job you want when you're in a job.

Good luck!

I'm sorry things are so difficult for you Eric, unfortunately you are in a fairly common situation by doing the Master's degree, in that you are now overqualified for entry level HR roles, (and employers will be reluctant to appoint you as they think you will soon want to move into a higher role). You don't however have the practical experience needed to start work in a more senior role. Unfortunately Universities don't really know what people's work experience is when they apply for the course, so they don't warn people that it could have a negative impact if they don't have too much experience

Are you only applying for HR roles, or are you considering other work now? It may be that doing something else and then seeing if you can get involvement in the HR Department may help.

I do hope things improve for you soon