Getting mixed messages from my employer

I would like some advice here please. I have been in a contract role for 6 months and was recently offered an extension to the end of the year, while being given a lot of positive feedback and commentary, and hardly anything negative.

I recently switched reporting lines and have a new manager, who was promoted as a mat cover from being my equal. Within 2 weeks, she has managed to completely demoralise me, ripping a number of pieces of work I've done apart and being extremely critical. She even said she thinks I'm out of my depth in the role and should consider if its right for me! I don't mind constructive criticism and development led feedback but this has not gone down well with me. But what is confusing is that the message from my previous manager and the department head was that they wanted me to stay and extend my contract - now I'm being told Im not performing to the required standard, even as my contract is being prepared and signed off! I realise I probably need to talk to her and address my concerns, which I think is easier said than done but I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this, in terms of getting completely mixed messages about how you are doing and what actions you can take to try and resolve the anxiety around it?

• Mixed messages can come from having different bosss/sources.

As you said you need to talk to her.
  • Hi William

I don't think you are getting mixed messages. You are getting two different messages from two different sources. Your previous manager and head of department formed a good opinion of your work, your erstwhile colleague and now manager is very critical of your work. Your risk is that the criticisms of your new manager will affect the opinion of your head of department.

To continue in post, as you have already identified you need to build a relationship with your new manager. This may be tricky, but you have to give it a go. At worst, the criticism will start going to your head of department and a case made for your dismissal.

There are many possibilities here. You new manager may be insecure and worried that your strong performance will show her up. I must also say that it is possible that she is much closer to your work than your head of department and previous manager and be able to see flaws they missed. Or somewhere in between. Right now you don't know what you are dealing with and need to find out by talking to her.