New Graduate recruitment - architecture

Hi all I’m looking to hear from colleagues working in Architecture practices. My son has graduated this summer in Architecture and is trying to get his first Part 1 position so he can gain the experience he needs for his Part 2. The usual exhibition for employers didn’t happen due to COVID and there don’t seem to be many companies actively seeking or advertising for Part 1 graduates without experience. He is working temporarily in a Purchasing department to gain office experience however he is keen to get his chosen career on track. What’s the usual way for practices to take on new Graduates? Is it mainly through speculative applications? Is there a lack of positions due to the current economy? I’ve been advising him in the usual things, LinkedIn, scouring job boards, contacts, however concerned that it might be different in the Architecture sector and want to give best advice. Any help very much appreciated.
  • Hi Judith, really sorry to hear about the difficulties your son is facing, When I read about the impact from Covid on youngsters who are trying to get on the job market it makes me feel quite glad to be a crinkly old dear. I would be interested to read the comments from other colleagues but two thoughts immediately spring to mind:
    has your son contacted his university careers service for some support (if he's not already done this)? Is there anything they can do to help?
    Also, you mention LinkedIn - is he looking at the job boards or has he also joined any relevant discussion groups for other architecture professionals? Perhaps he can post something on a discussion board and reach out to established practices that way?
    Wishing you both lots of luck and please let us know how he gets on. :-)
  • Hi Clare
    Thank you for your reply and support. You’ve given me 2 ideas which will be worth looking into. He is using LinkedIn for connections and jobs and not considered discussion boards. Will get him to take a look.
    Regards
    Judith
  • In reply to Judith Chadwick:

Also sometimes groups on Linkedin are good .