Masters with CiPD accreditation

Hi, I am so confused.   I keep hearing about Masters in HRM with CiPD accreditation.  But I have searched and cant find anything.  Is it correct that I could do a Masters in a year ?  I have Level 3 and 5 but would prefer to do a Masters rather than level 7 .... is this possible.... some of the posts on here ask the same, but none of the answers really say 

please help 

thank you 

• Hi Lisa

I just did a Google search and found this - globalonline.mmu.ac.uk/.../

Not sure if this is what you mean?

Lisa
  • Hi, I'm currently doing an MSc in HRM with the Open University, which will give me the L7 CIPD accreditation. As it's the OU though, it's part time so it takes around 3 years to complete.
  • Hi Lisa,

London Metropolitan University offer a Masters in HRM with CIPD level 7 accreditation. It can be completed part time in 2 years, or full time in one year. I completed mine over 2 years as I was working full time alongside it.

I believe University of Westminster also offer a similar course. Worth searching around various prospectus till you find one that fits what you're looking for.
  • To complete an MA/MSc in HRM that is accredited by the CIPD you will need to find a university than runs said course near to you and that they run the course full time, a lot don't now. If you want to do it in a year then it will be a full-time course. So you need not only to be able to work out can you can afford to do it, for example, the MA course at LJMU costs £6,900 for the full-time course, whereas you will be looking at £3,450 per year (2-year part-time course). If you do the full-time course then obviously you won't be able to work full time. So you will have to factor in living costs. To be honest, I think undertaking this course full time is only beneficial to someone who has been studying for a BA/BSc in HRM who has undertaken placements the masters will just be an extension of their time at university. You might find an Online Masters, but check that it is CIPD accredited/approved and that you can afford to do it.
  • I work for Henley Business School and we provide a 1 year programme MSc IHRM that has CIPD approval and leads to membership (assuming students pass the MSc)
  • I'm supervising students on this type of course at Birkbeck, University of London. They can do it as one year full time or two years part time. The challenge with the full time option (apart from the ones already pointed out by Paul) is that students are required to do a work-bsed management research project - and if you're not working it can be hard to access a workplace to do this.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Oct, 2019 21:55

In reply to Anna:

Welcome back, Anna
  • Hi Julie, I'm about to begin this, any helpful advice? Thanks in Advance Matthew Hiscock
  • In reply to Matthew:

Hi Matthew, I'd say read as much as you can, and start thinking about topics for your research project straight away. I'm just finishing up my dissertation, which hasn't been easy given the current situation!
  • In reply to Julie Dix:

I would endorse what Julie is saying Matthew.
    I'm currently supervising research projects for the HR Masters and this is a challenge for many students. First of all you need to identify a business based HR issue for an organisation. If you're in employment then I recommend talking to your HR department about their current challenges (perhaps aside from managing COVID itself).
    Make friends with people in HR who will be able to provide support for your research.
    Keep in mind that if you carry out a project that's valuable to an employer/potential employer it will give you a little extra help in moving into HR - which as you may have gathered from posts on the Community is a very competitive field.
  • I did mine at Salford University. Initially enrolled part-time using the "block study" option, but switched to full-time when it became apparent the contact time was exactly the same for full or part-time and as a full time student I would just have less breaks between modules. I was balancing this alongside work - taking annual leave for our study days and then completing modules in my spare time.

It was a stretch, but do-able. I did go freelance during my dissertation write-up though to give me more time to work on the project.
  • Thank you Anna and Julie thats very helpful. In regards to my research project I have already started brain storming, specifically regarding mental health in the work place, but thats very wide so looking at ways to pin point this without limiting my resources. I've been reading the daily articles sent by CIPD and going through the A-Z of law on their website, as well as reading a MBA HR book to re prep me fir study, is that a suitable start? I appreciate all the advice thank you.
  • In reply to Matthew:

You're welcome Matthew.

And just to add that if you're studying through a university you will need to get their ethics clearance to conduct any research. In the present circumstances anything to do with mental health is likely to be considered sensitive so you might also like to identify a second, less contentious HR area of interest to you that could form the basis of your research.
  • Hi Lisa,

I hope that you got the information that you needed - I completed my MSc in HRM that was accredited with CIPD Level 7 at Salford Uni. One of the advantages for me of doing the masters was that i was able to get a Postgraduate Loan to cover the cost of the fees. Taking 12 months out to focus on the study rather than a protracted period of evening or day release worked for me. I graduated in 2018 and am now working full time as a HR Advisor and working towards my chartered membership status . Best decision ever... for me - you need to see what approach works for you.

Best of Luck with your studies
  • In reply to Sarah:

Hi Sarah, sorry for jumping on this so late! Can I just check, did you get any sort of letter/confirmation from CIPD that your uni qualification was equal/accredited to CIPD Level 7? (Other than becoming a member or getting a membership certificate).