Recruitment transition to HR - which to continue while studying for CIPD?

Hello everyone,

I have 5 years of full life cycle recruitment experience in American/UK small, private, and public facing companies. I'm now on the market for a new role, but want to take the CIPD level 5 to transition into an HR career as I'm finding I don't enjoy the sales aspect of recruitment and would prefer to be on the strategy, education, and policy side of HR. Since I have recruitment experience, would it be best to target a recruitment role (with advancement to HR) or to seek out a HR coordinator / Asst / Admin role? Any companies that would support my transition? I am newer to the UK, came over about 1 year ago, so still understanding the labor market here. 

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Emily Raun-Petersen

• Hi Emily,

It's been a while since you posted this so you may have already figured out what you're going to do but as I was in your position a couple of years ago I thought I'd still comment!

I, like you, had been working in Recruitment for a number of years but wanted to move into an HR role. In the end the course that I took was to move from agency recruitment to an internal recruitment role where I was part of the HR team and got some HR exposure. While there I studied for my CIPD qualification and then was able to move into an HR administrative role.

This path did mean that I had to take a step back in order to move forward in my new career but I'm definitely glad I did it!

I hope it works out for you too :)

Orfhlaith