Starting up a Consultancy

Good morning all,

I will be setting up my own HR Consultancy in the next month or two, as my current circumstances have changed allowing a to take a bit of a career gamble. 

Does anyone have any advice for me in this respect, in particular about:

- the best way to calculate your hourly rate, and what you have to take into account

- HMRC compliance

- building up client base (wheres the best place to start?)

- what type of things you should be charging for? 

- any other tips would be welcomed! 

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Lisa. 

• Good luck

There are some historic threads on costs and setting rates you might like to search for

I think you will face unique challenges now and need a plan to address these. What services and approach have you in mind to contact and build a base during this unprecedented period?
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you Keith.

I agree - there are certainly some challenges ahead.

My circumstances are quite unique too, in that a Consultancy firm that I applied for a permanent job with, have (naturally) had a change in tact with the current pandemic. They have asked me if I would be prepared to go ‘self-employed’ with them instead of on a contract basis. It’s a bit of a curve ball for me, but something I am keen to explore further.

Any help from any members is always appreciated

• That’s wonderful. Thank you Heather. I will certainly check out your website. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.