Would this be the right move?

Last year I successfully completed a Level 3 CIPD qualification, and now I am very eager to enroll onto the Level 5 course. The problem I have where I am employed. I currently work full time for a local authority, within the HR department as an Administrative Assistant. I have always been very open and honest about my goals, and how passionate I am about developing within the field of HR, however, there are no opportunities to develop and learn new skills, and I am currently feeling at a standstill (a little stuck in a rut).

A few years ago, I volunteered within a HR team for a large manufacturing company, and at the time, I had very little HR experience. I found that when looking online at vacancies, that most HR roles required some payroll experience. This leads me onto my main question..

So where I am currently employed, a full time position has become available within the Payroll Department, and I am contemplating submitting an application form. I am not sure if this would be the right move for me, but what I do know is that I am ready to develop, and there are no opportunities to do so in the team I am currently in. I have seen lots of "payroll and HR" positions online which I've been unable to apply for as I don't have the required payroll experience.

So my question is, do you think this would be a good move? The salary is two grades higher and also they may consider it over four days meaning I could also afford to do my Level 5 and have the designated day off to study it. 

I really would appreciate views on this.. 

• In reply to Kimberley:

If you do go for it make sure you have worked out what your likely route back into mainstream hr is. That’s the challenging step.
  • In reply to Keith:

That's actually my main concern. I don't want to step away from HR because it took me a very long time to get where I am today, and whilst this isn't as far as I'd hoped, I do know the struggle I faced getting there.
  • In reply to Kimberley:

I'm sorry to hear that you have missed out on some opportunities as I thought HR Assistant and Trainee HR Officer would be more 'entry' roles for development so therefore how can you have any previous experience?! (I know particularly from posts here etc that this is quite common but I know also very frustrating). The HR Assistants in our team are often administrators who then develop the HR side.
    I hope you do get some more opportunities whether internally or externally but in the meantime keep pushing to be involved in/support your HR colleagues etc as particularly in a large LA it is such a shame that you are not getting developmental opportunities in your current role at least.
    This forum is a great place to learn about casework and different situations/views etc...
  • In reply to Kimberley:

Bear in mind that future recruiters will take a look at your CV and may well think, "she can't decide what she wants to do, I want someone who's sure this is the career for them". Of course this may be hugely unfair, but you won't be in front of them to explain, only your CV.