HR Role

Hi all,

I'm looking for some career advice. I currently work as a Social-Care Worker. I passed my Level 3 certificate in Human Resources last month and I am looking to studying the Level 5 Certificate in HR Management when I secure my placement first. I'm very keen to move out of the care sector to become a HR Advisor but am struggling and feeling very disengaged with the recruitment and selection into HR. I have attended many interviews, I just haven't been lucky enough yet to get a start date. I have limited experience in terms of HR, and most of my background is Call Centre. 

I look on recruitment sites daily and I send my CV and cover letter when I find the appropriate jobs, however, I am also sending emails to employers offering my services one day a week free. I am not able also to secure my placement to get more experience that way either. I wonder if there's anything I'm doing wrong or is anyone able to offer me any advice? I am really keen to progress into HR and learn a lot more. I have attended Labour Relations Agency for employment law seminars. 

Thank You,
David Murphy (Associate CIPD)

• Hi David
    Good luck with the job change. I moved into HR from a hospitality management role about 12 years ago, I had a lot of HR experience within this job but I still had to go into HR at administrator level. It was a great starting point as although I had experience of some HR issues I was now dealing with HR 8 hours a day.
    Make sure that you tailor your CV to each application making sure that you have shown were you meet the criteria. Firms want to see experience so make sure you add in all HR issues that you have covered
    Good Luck
    Tracey
  • Hi David

Could you combine the two, work in care as HR, your experience in the day to day activities will be very useful

Good luck

Sharon
  • Hi David,
    What level are you currently applying for within HR? Without experience, I'd suggest entry-level roles, HR Assistant, HR Administrator etc.
    Tracey's advice to tailor your CV and application accordingly is spot on.
    You explained that you've had many interviews - have you tried obtaining feedback from those interviews? That's usually a good place to understand where you could improve as it might be interview technique that you could refine.
    Regards
    Mark
  • In reply to Sharon Lesley:

Sharon, I work in domiciliary care, our office is made up off 5 people. I have no real prospect of getting HR position within my current role. However, I could keep trying the care sector, maybe the NHS or bigger domiciliary care agencies across Belfast.
  • In reply to Mark:

Hi Mark,
    Yeah I am applying for entry-level roles within HR and I am getting interviews but none converting at this stage. My CV was done by a careers advisor at Belfast Met and my cover letter. I have it tailored to a fine tune.
    I have asked for many feedback, and I get mixed reports.
  • In reply to David:

Sounds like your interview style needs more work then if you are getting lots of interviews. You will rarely get quality interview feedback as people think it opens them up to risks. Best bet is to find a HR professional or experienced line manager to give you a mock interview or two.
  • In reply to David:

Hi David

I would try bigger organisations who may have more scope, it does help sometimes to understand both sides as you will have been in situations a lot of HR won't have.

However don't completely rule out your organisation, see if you can do work experience with them for a time.

Another option is to look at training roles, training from someone who has been a support worker can have more impact for new or existing staff, then after a while you may be able to slide to HR

Sharon
  • If you have a Trade Union active in your organisation, you may get valuable HR type experience by becoming a work place rep. Effective reps, need to know work place procedures, Employment Law and good communication skills - in other words the sort of skills you'll need in HR.