What would your employees say about your training or management to a TV street reporter?

Your views are appreciated - Would you cringe or be proud?

Imagine the scene, You get home from work, and on the regional part of the news, you see a report where a street reporter approaches local people.

You realise interviewer is talking to one of your shop floor employees.

They ask the question "How well does your employer train you"? In one line, what would your people say? Would they say what you would hope they say?

I would love to hear what you would hope they would say. What if they asked your people about the competence of the management?

• They would say there's too much reliance on e-learning.
  • I dread to think!!

On the upside, I'm hoping that my plans for next year will start to change that!!!
  • In reply to Fiona:

Interesting, Thanks Fiona
  • In reply to Nicola Coull:

oh go on, please do think!
    one strategy may be to publicly compare what people would say now, to what they might say in 9 months - that could be valuable evaluation criteria
  • In reply to Mike Morrison:

Hi Mike,

That's actually exactly what I'm doing!! It's a huge focus for me at the moment. As the exec leadership team, we have a huge change agenda to drive over the next five years and building the team and capability are a strong stream within this. I am in the process of finalising our development and communication strategies which I will start to implement next year, with one of the core aims to improve employee engagement.

We've had a pretty rough year, so I think (I'm sure!) the comments would be quite damning on training, leadership and communication. However, on the plus side, that means that the only way is up!

It's also going to be the focus of my MBA dissertation, so I should have some results for you around June ;)
  • In reply to Nicola Coull:

awesome, having just finished my masters (so good luck), remember to collect thoughts, views and opinions now, before you start, it will make great and real evaluation criteria!
  • My guess would be they'd say: "On the whole quite good but on occasion a bit hit and miss".
    It's interesting that you juxtapose the two questions - the quality of training and the competence of management! I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on the answer to the second question :-))