Career transition - where to start!?

Hi all

I am currently working as an EA for a small property developer in Central London for 3 years and I have recently completed my Level 5 Diploma in HR Management and I looking to transition into a HR based role. 

I am acting as the HR officer for the business and I am fortunate enough to have regular exposure to different aspects of HR including on-boarding, inductions, new starters, leavers, holidays, general enquiries, grievances, KPIs, audits, recruitment, training etc.

However, despite this experience I am being boxed into mainly administration / office management jobs with some HR responsibilities but not core HR roles. I wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to overcome this and make the transition into HR? 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Katie 

• Like myself, keep making application after application until you find a place that takes you.
  • Hi Katie,

Have you had a career discussion with your current employer?
    Are you stand alone in your business are or there other people you can shadow, take responsibility off, sit in meetings with etc?

Handling grievances and recruitment definitely sounds like you are in a HR role to me! If there is office admin work to be done can you suggest to your employer that it needs recruiting for?

Just some thoughts :) doesn't mean you need to leave your current employer as suggested below
  • In reply to Katie:

Thank you for your advice, Katie, it is very much appreciated and helpful!
  • In reply to Andre:

Thanks for your advice, Andre!
  • Hi Katie

If you use the search function, you will find that this is a topic that comes up quite regularly in this forum. There are also a number of career transition stories on the main CIPD site: www.cipd.co.uk/search