Is attending CIPD national conference in Manchester an appropriate venue & suitable forum to network at in view of a job?

It is naturally not a jobs event nor a graduate recruitment fair, but a nationwide gathering of all industry professionals in the HR profession. 

Having said that, if someone books the time off from work to attend, stays at a good hotel in Manchester City Centre during the duration of the event and presents themselves well with business cards, can it pay certain dividends?     

They key advantage of conference, both national and regional is that you get to meet people face to face as opposed to just online. 

However, can or should one either directly or indirectly link it to searching for possible employment, without asking openly if there are currently any vacancies, although can a direct, creative and entrepreneurial approach also work in some situations?      

Has anyone been known to either interview people at or even offer a job at conference if someone is using their own annual leave to attend (when they could be going or doing something else non work related) and paying for the travel and hotel from their own resources, which demonstrates a certain initiative and dedication to the profession as a whole, whilst thinking laterally and outside of the box?   

• In relation to my various job and HR related posts on this forum, there is a common denominator, pattern and theme throughout. Unlike I suspect that vast majority of other people, I have of course worked and have experience, but could not get into a private blue chip or fortune 500 multinational company in my 20s and 30s as they did not take me on and said that you do not meet our requirements. Time went on, I went back to school and did more studies and eventually you reach a type of impasse with the jobs. Its a tricky situation as if they don't take you and you cannot get into one, it can naturally make things more problematic. I have a very good understanding of the situation, but finding a solution to a scenario where it is difficult to get work can actually be one of the most challenging and complex matters in adulthood to deal with. There are no easy answers as to why they take others but not myself, so many variables involved in recruiting decisions and at the end of the day, it is their prerogative as they have the right to choose their own staff team.

Suitability, capability, team, and culture fit and if one's face and personality fits all come into the wider equation and mix here.   

• “Is attending CIPD national conference in Manchester an appropriate venue & suitable forum to network at in view of a job?”

Offers some limited opportunities  but probably far better at you level to spend time and effort locally in your branches or other local networking events. 

( and I think it’s now replaced by the festival of work but might be wrong) 

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

16 Jul, 2019 07:22

Hi Andre,

I don't know myself to what extent people attend the annual conference in order to find a job. There will be some, I'm sure... but it is not a careers fair per se. Many people already in the profession - and others considering moving in to the profession - will I am sure seek inspiration from exhibitors and conference speakers. 

As colleagues suggest in this excellent thread, chances are at least a third of employees at any given time are probably looking for another job with varying levels of commitment.

This discussion is also worth a read - with a debate on how 'open' you might feel you can be with your current employer. (A lot depends on the employer and context of course).  

Should you tell your employer that you're looking for a new job?

This might be pertinent to your question - although I can only speculate - but employers recruit for the skills they need (or should do), and hopefully many will understand that if they are confident and creative with reasonable adjustments, there is a business case for employing those who think differently about situations. That is something to be embraced and celebrated.  

• Andre

Sounds good in theory Andre but I'd stay at home if I were you.

You've already told us that this sort of social chit chat isn't your forte.

I'm sure that people do get noticed and face to face is better than email as you say.

BUT:- most of the exhibitors are interested in selling their own wares such as software, time and attendance systems, books, training advertising space and so on. So unless you are an expert at selling yourself, which you admit you are not, you are almost likely to be given a quick & polite hearing followed by a suggestion that you send your CV in, building up your hopes again only to have them crash when hear nothing further..

As for showing initiative , paying for own hotel and so on. Yes it does show keenness and initiative but...... you'll still be trying to do what you've always done at interviews, which is selling yourself, and as you admit you find that difficult.
  • Whilst the CIPD conference is not a jobs fair it IS a network building opportunity. With a sufficiently strong network of people who trust you and your abilities, job hunting is less hard. Good networking skills are needed to achieve this trust and respect.
  • Good networking is required to find a job
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

16 Jul, 2019 13:56

In reply to Keith:

Hi just to clarify, the Festival of Work replaced the Learning and Development Show also combining what was the former HR Software Show, this happened in June at London Olympia. The 72nd CIPD Annual Conference and Exhibition is happening as usual in Manchester on 6-7 November this year. events.cipd.co.uk/.../