How far would you commute for an HR role in order to get the experience?

Unlike being automatically entitled to a school place based on your postcode in a particular catchment area, it does not work that way with employment. 

They do not just automatically hire you just because you happen to be local, and one may receive a job offer in an area that they are not in a position to move to either for many different reasons and factors. 

What is all your mileage radius for a certain type of role, bearing in mind train fares, travel time etc, or would you rather hold tight and wait for something to come up more locally, even if there is currently nothing for you on the HR jobs front in your particular town, city or region of the country?

To give an example here, someone living in Stoke on Trent could easily commute on a daily basis to work in HR in Liverpool, Manchester or Birmingham if they could not find or get anything there after an extensive search. There are far more people looking for HR positions across the UK than HR positions available in the UK. Supply and demand.      

However, would most people do so, even if it's a fine choice of getting an HR job x amount of miles away outside of your own local area or then no HR job at all?

Any thoughts, also bearing in mind regional salary differences?     

• Hi Andre

You're asking us (well, me), what I'd do - but the question you know you need to answer is what you are prepared to do - isn't it? ;-). And of course , our opinion & experience is based on different criteria than yours.

However:-

The furthest I've ever commuted was some 60 miles, mostly over quiet roads, but I didn't do that for long. I was also a regular commuter from home to York (50 miles or so each way) for several months But that was at the start of my HR journey. I hated the travel even then. Whilst living in Ireland I got asked to run some training courses in Dublin. What I would have earned in one day was not far off what I was getting for nearly a month's wage prior to moving. But I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of travelling up there + hotels+stress + ......Why ? I could stay at home and do very little in the way of work and get paid comparatively very little for the work. But all I had to do was travel a couple of miles every day I chose to work.

It took a long time for me to understand that you need to be happy with what you have rather than get frustrated over the things you've not got or could have. A part of that process is being able to come to terms with your own circumstances and choosing a path YOU want to take and not get too hung up on what you might be missing..
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Jun, 2019 12:47

It also depends on whether you have dependents at school, caring responsibilities, a spouse in a secure job, etc. It's a balance, isn't it?

If you're single and not rooted to a particular area... what's stopping you?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I do a round commute of 50 miles a day.
  • The most I have regularly commuted was 140 miles a day. That was M25/M1 so pretty majorly congested roads. Was always a bit pot luck as to when I would get home.

I did that for about ten years (actually changed job twice in that period).

I now do about 70 miles a day but by train mostly.

We all have individual decisions to make
  • In reply to David Perry:

I think that it boils down more to the fact that if you see people with less on paper or certain other things than you get certain things (particular types of jobs or moving to particular counties), yet you can't you naturally wonder 'why'? What do they have which is so special that I do not, but then you are comparing yourself with other people. You are not them and they are not you. Luck, timing and circumstances also play a certain part in the overall mix here.

But can one completely alter or change their entire circumstances, or is that difficult as well?    

• The furthest I've commuted is 15 miles each way (to be fair I moved house to be that far away rather than changing job!) but my husband drove, so I didn't have any real hassle or stress due to the travel. I've always chosen to work in the same city - it's not a large place but I've managed to find enough opportunities that I haven't had to commute any further. My worst commute was ten miles by car in heavy traffic or five miles by bike - I tended to choose bike as I had control over my commuting time so it was less stressful. However I disliked enough that when offered a choice between that job which was fairly well paid and another which was less well paid, but only two miles from my house, I chose the closer job. ;-)

The main factors for me are stress levels - I dislike driving and train travel as I don't get on well if I'm hemmed in by other people so I've always tried to avoid jobs that involve that type of travel. I also have a family and lots of out of work commitments so a short commute matters much more to me than a better paid opportunity. I'm probably working a bit under the level I could be working at at this stage in my career, but I value the working hours and short commute more highly than more money or responsibility and I find that my work life balance is pretty fulfilling.
  • In reply to Andre:

Andre.
    You are right. I sometimes can't help wondering why others have/had much better jobs than I did. It doesn't really bother me now one bit. As you say - you are not them and they are not you. But I'm not sure you actually accept that and are happy enough with that realisation?

David
  • Hi - I used to commute from Brighton to London, a round trip of 120 miles a day, a total of over 3 and a half hours commuting a day, very dependant on British Rail/London buses!

It was my first HR role after graduating, working for a very large blue chip multi national. I didn't question it at the time and the salary/package was highly competitive.

This changed when I was caught up in a number of bomb scares which effectively closed down the trains overnight, meaning I had to stay over in central London a few times, not being able to get home!

Many (many) years later I now commute 5 miles by car taking 10 minutes through country lanes in the West Midlands....
  • I used to commute about 120 miles a day and did this for years (and it was down the A1m and around the M25 to Heathrow so not a nice journey!). Now I commute about 45 miles a day 3 days a week and about 100 twice a week.

I like driving. And I couldn't do a job on my doorstep. I need a commute.

Having said that I couldn't handle a commute by public transport.

We are all different and I think you have to think about your own life and circumstances.
  • In reply to Laura Ann:

For me it's about time and ease of travel rather than mileage. When I worked in London my commute was only 4 miles each way but took 1 hour regardless of whether I drove, walked or took public transport. I currently travel 10 miles each way in Edinburgh and it takes 1 hour again, regardless of whether I drive, cycle or take the bus - whereas 30 years ago when I lived in Edinburgh and commuted to Grangemouth, it took 40 mins in the car to do 26 miles each way. I've also been in a peripatetic role where I have driven close on 1000 miles each week to get to the locations I was required to attend (albeit that was a lot of overnighting rather than commuting from home).

I think I personally would struggle if my commute took me more than 1 1/2 hours each way but then the type of job and reward on offer might persuade me otherwise.

It really is down to personal choice and what you are prepared to do for what you'll get in return.
  • Piece of string, Andre. Piece of string.

However, for my own part, I value my time and my sanity and would rather do a lesser-compensated local job than earn more money for a long commute. My current commute is 35 minutes through some beautiful countryside - only occasionally interrupted by cows or flooding. I'd probably stretch up to 45 minutes for a really good role. But for anything beyond that I'd expect to work from home for at least part of the week.