Questions about CIPD Qualifications from an expat

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community and thus apologize in advance if the following questions aren't posted in the correct forum!

In short, I'm an HR professional originally from Washington D.C., currently located in Frankfurt am Main, and looking to relocate to London at the beginning of next year with my husband. I have a little over five years of experience in HR, both in the U.S. and Germany, and am certified in the U.S. (PHR and SHRM-CP, in the event that anyone here is familiar with them). As I can't imagine that my U.S.-specific certifications will get me far in the UK, I was wondering if anyone has feedback on the value of CIPD qualifications. They're quite expensive, and being unfamiliar with both the competitiveness of the job market in London, as well as the potential ROI for becoming certified, I've been somewhat hesitant to begin actively pursuing it. I would greatly appreciate hearing anyone's experience as it relates to CIPD qualifications and prospects for associate-level HR professionals in London.

Many thanks,

Kelly

• Hi Kelly,
    I would support undertaking a CIPD qualification with an aim to Chartership over time. There are a number of avenues to attain membership and suggest exploring the best route for you. I'm not au fait with the US certification you hold but in addition to this you have a good body of experience to support your application. See the cost of study as an investment in your professional development, you may also be fortunate to find an employer that may support you in doing this be that through reimbursement of membership fees and/or course costs. I undertook my CIPD quals some years ago and Chartership was a requirement for the role, I recall using 'studying towards CIPD membership' on my CV and when taking on a new role I successfully completed it through distance learning and assessment (PAC - prior accredited learning) and haven't looked back. I can't comment on the London HR market as I live and work outside the area. If you'd like to discuss further feel free to message me.

Best regards

Nicola