CV feedback

Hi All,

I am looking for HR Advisor or Talent Acquisition roles but I have not yet had any interview offers despite registering with an agency and applying for several roles direct.

My background is Recruitment (over 17 years experience).  I ran my own recruitment business for 7 years prior to deciding to pursue a career in HR.

I have Level 5 Certificate in HRM and I am studying towards Level 7.

I would be grateful if someone could have a look at my CV to advise what I could add or remove to make it more attractive to decision makers.  If you are able to help, please reply back to this feed with your email address or email me at j.charles1501@gmail.com and I'll forward you my current CV.

Should anyone be looking for a dedicated professional I am open to roles in Birmingham and across the West Midlands.  I am also willing to commute to central London for a suitable role.

Kind Regards

John

• Hi John,

If you'd like to email your CV to me at ginnie@jobsearchwarrior.co.uk, I'd be happy to help with a warts and all CV review!.

Ginnie Riley
  • I think we have some forum rules about personal email addresses, don't we, Steve Bridger?

The challenge, here, is always the question of experience. Most people looking for an HR Advisor - which is a couple of steps up the HR professional ladder - are going to be looking for prior experience in a generalist HR role and, counter-intuitive as it may seem, recruitment doesn't count.

If you apply for something more junior - like an HR Administrator - then your Level 5 qualification ends up counting against you because it's obvious (!) that you're only looking to stay long enough to get the experience to move up to a more appropriate role.

We seem to have a steady stream of people with higher-level HR qualifications (once or twice and MA in HRM) from people who've never worked in HR wondering why they can't find a job in HR.

Given your location and mobility, I would suggest you should look for internal recruitment roles on a "poacher turned gamekeeper" basis. These roles are easiest to find in London, but Birmingham also has a good crop of large companies from which to choose. Once in place, you may then have the opportunity to work across the HR team, allowing you to move to a more generalist role should you wish to.
  • In reply to Robey:

Apologies Steve Bridger (sbridger) if I have unintentionallly breached any rules, just reaching out to help. I would remind myself of the rules, but can't find them!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Nov, 2018 16:12

In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey... yes, we do have rules. I have kind of relaxed it a bit recently, particularly with regards CV 'checking'... provided advice is given freely and unconditionally.
  • In reply to Ginnie:

Thanks Ginnie. I've just sent over my CV for your perusal.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robbie.

Apologies to all I wasn't aware of the email rules and regulations.

Thank you for the advice. I am working on a consultancy basis for a small HR consultancy in order to gain more experience.

Talent acquisition is an area which interests me and I am looking for suitable roles.

I just thought it would be a good idea to get 'fresh eyes' to look at my CV, to see if there is anything I can tweak.