CV feedback needed... can anyone help?

Hi all, 

I've been in search for a new HR role for around 6-8 weeks now and I don't seem to be making much progress whatsoever - with the exception of a couple of rejection emails. I appreciate it's early days and I am determined to persevere, however I would really appreciate some constructive feedback on my CV. 

If anyone has any spare time to review I can send it over straight away. 

Many thanks in advance, Carly. 

• send it to me at jscofield@primadental.com - happy to have a look for you
  • I'm also happy to have a look samfranklin@timbersource.co.uk
  • 1. Make sure your spelling and grammar are correct. Cannot emphasize enough how often I see the words "attention to detail" spelt incorrectly.
    2. Use a sans serif font that isn't Arial or Comic Sans. Calibri, Verdana or Trebuchet are fine. Core font size should be 11 or 12. No larger or smaller. (I know, it shouldn't make a difference, but it does)
    3. No longer than two pages maximum. If you can get it down to one, even better.
    4. Key qualifications first, key experience second. These are the two main things recruiters scan your CV for. Either you have what they're looking for or you don't. Make it easy to see that you do.
    5. Everything else in whatever order you like, but brief and logical. Generally speaking, either the first four points have seen you short-listed already or they haven't. It's brutal but that's the way it is.

However, if you are finding that your CV isn't opening doors, stop applying for jobs that use CVs as a selection tool. The vast majority of public sector jobs and a growing proportion of major private sector employers who have adopted online Applicant Tracking software now use application forms in place of CVs. These will typically give you a list of person specifications and you are expected to illustrate - with examples - how you fulfil each specification.

If these give you the opportunity to attach a CV, don't fall into the trap of assuming that you will be judged on your CV. You won't. The application form is ALL.

If you can demonstrate your ability to fulfil each individual point on the application form, you will definitely clear the short-listing threshold. Whether you get an interview will then only be determined by the quality of your competition.
  • In reply to Robey:

Just goes to show we are all different - there are 2 or 3 of Robeys points I would fundamentally disagree with (2,3,4).

CVs are an art not a science. I am very wary of prescriptive approaches as I think they lead to boring and standard CVs that get over looked.

Keep evolving it, keep it personal and keep seeking feedback.
  • In reply to Keith:

If you're a fan of Comic Sans, Keith, I'm afraid I can't acknowledge you any more...
  • In reply to Keith:

Some quick ideas

• For a cv route, adjust your cv to the context of the target company - research each of them and try to double guess their priorities in terms of prioritising experience ( McDonalds will be looking for different strong points that an international engineering consultancy. Most company websites expound on their values - play to the audience using these buttons
    • Do the same when answering questions in an on-line form
    • Emphasize your achievements as opposed to tlisting types of tasks you have undertaken
  • Thank you to all for providing their feedback. I will certainly take all of your points on board and action accordingly.

Thanks again.
  • Hi all,

I wanted to thank you all for your help with my CV. With your constructive feedback, I made some really good changes and improvements.

I attended my first interview around a month ago and following a second interview, I have now been offered a role as HR Advisor for a leading law firm!

I'm looking forward to a brand new challenge (and it certainly will be that), working with like minded HR professionals in a professional environment. The complete opposite to what I am used to now whereby you question your sanity on a daily basis!

Thank you again.

Carly
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

25 Apr, 2018 11:09

In reply to Carly:

Carly - that's awesome! Congrats... and really appreciate you letting us know.

ps while I hope your sanity isn't tested *that often*... please do visit us regularly ;)