Career move... after nearly 20 years

Hi

Looking for a little advice.  I have been with my current employer for nearly 20 years during which time I have trained in HR and gone from a stand-alone role to a team of 6 and moved to the title of HR Director reporting to the Board

A change of management and financial difficulties in the last 18 months there has been a massive culture change in the organisation to the detriment and my role is becoming increasingly untenable.  I’m currently considering options as to whether to stay or whether to look at alternatives.

I’ve never worked in HR anywhere else which leaves me nervous about expectations and particularly I’m not sure the Director role I am in is comparable elsewhere in terms of responsibility etc.  I have applied for a few jobs as HR BP and HRM but not getting to interview stage and I’m not sure whether it’s CV (not done one for 20 years!) or whether it’s seeming odd applying for lower grade role even though I am explaining situation.

Any advice welcomed

• Deborah

I would be happy to look at your CV if you like. (you will need to contact me via my profile on here)

How much of this do you think is some form of imposters syndrome where you end up under selling yourself because "I've only been in one company"? That will come across even at the "lower" level jobs.

Have you been networking with headhunters or other people likely to be recruiting in your space?

Good luck
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith

That would be great if you could have a look.

I think there is a confidence issue and possibly underselling because of being in one place so long and the fact I know current organisation inside out.

I haven’t done any networking with headhunters as haven’t really had an idea where to start, and have only recently created linked in profile. Don’t really want existing employer to know at this stage although I have expressed my concerns with regards the current issues.
  • Hi Deborah,

It's a shame the change in circumstances has led you to question what you want to do, but you firstly need to make the decision as to whether to pursue another opportunity or whether to stick out the current one. Once you're clear on that you can put a plan together that suits. Otherwise, your questionning of yourself will detract from the possibilities depending on your decision.

If you do decide to pursue a new job:
    - Stop doubting yourself until you know for certain. You have 20 years' experience - that's great.
    - Working for one company for so long shows loyalty - some companies value this greatly
    - You will know plenty about HR within your industry for this company, and have seen first hand the trends that occur - this can be a great dicussion for an interview
    - The responsibilities you've undertaken at your role will determine whether the title of HR director is accurate or not. Review job adverts for this role and see whether your responsibilities match or not. If they do - you've pitched yourself too low applying for HRBP and HRM. If the responsibilities match HRBP or HRM more closely, you need to review your CV
    - Your CV will need to focus on your skills and achievements first and foremost. That's what makes recruiters/hiring managers interested. Results, figures, projects, etc.
    - If you want to keep your search quiet, you can ensure your Career Interests page on LinkedIn is live, without putting anything on your profile which only allows other recruiters to see your information, it's not made public to your network
    - Contact a couple of recruitment agents/headhunters that specilise in HR roles - they can also give advice on your CV/social media presence as well as put you forward for any roles they have
    - Consider looking for some career coaching - there's free apps, paid for coaches etc so you can investigate what may suit you better.

It's scary going to something new - but the excitement soon takes over and it is likely to be so refreshing!

Kind regards,
    Laura
  • In reply to Laura Fazackarley:

Thank you Laura this is helpful.

I think I know really that I do need to change and that I need to stop the loyalties I have to my current organisation from holding me back. That final leap is very scary as apart from the last 18months I have always loved my job and the continued challenges it brought and never even considered moving on
  • Hi Deborah

I think you will encounter recruiters who will think that nearly 20 years with the same employer will make it hard for you to adapt to a new culture. I would set out each step in your journey to HRD as a separate role and emphasise the different challenges you encountered in each. If someone is of the mind to write you off as institutionalised, it won't fool them but it might help you make your case.

This might be the last thing you feel like doing when you are having a tough time at work, but is there anything you do or could take on outside work such as volunteering to demonstrate your adaptability? For example, the CAB has volunteer advisers in their offices and on their helpline. That would be an opportunity to demonstrate use of your ER knowledge in a different setting and possibly even develop your skills. You could also look out for opportunities to become a trustee. Doing something like this might be a boost to your confidence and an opportunity for networking too.

A friend of mine was in a similar position. She started as an admin assistant in a start-up and grew to HRD over 9 years, getting qualified along the way. She suspected that in spite of her title, her day-to-day work was closer to an HR BP than an HRD so that is what she listed on her CV. The job she went to was in another start-up but a different industry. It took her about 6 months to get the job and I thought that was reasonably good timing. If you are looking for a senior position, I'd allow yourself up to a year to find the right role.
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Thank you for this.

I hadn’t thought of CAB and volunteering. I have just looked at our local office and they currently have some Advisor and Trustee positions so I will look further into this.

Doing something different may help to change focus from the negatives of existing role and make more manageable in short term

Many thanks
  • In reply to Deborah Brooks:

One word of caution about CAB. I contacted my local CAB office a few years ago as I thought that with my background I might be able to make a contribution (one of my main areas of interest is Employment Law). They would only take me on as a volunteer if I could guarantee them one day a week which, as I am still employed full time, was not feasible.

I'm not sure if this is a national policy or just a local one but worth being aware of.

I am planning on retiring in the next few years so will certainly be renewing my offer to volunteer at that point.