Offered a post at a HR Admin level but duties & reslonsibilites are more in line with a Advisor/Snr Officer level

Hi

I really require some advise...

I was previously at a HR Advisor level (with Level 7 CIPD attained) in my recent role. I resigned after 3 yrs as I needed something more part time / flexible working arrangement due to a young family.

I recently applied for a stand alone HR Admin role at another company due to the role being part time & flexible in hours. The MD offered me the job. I’m really excited about this new opportunity as it’s a small company of 40-60 employees and I can make it my own role. However, they don’t currently have any HR processes in place, neither a HR System (which he will want my support on when they find the right one). He would like me to implement / develop new HR processes (due to my experience) along with carrying out the administrative side of things detailed in their Job spec. This is all fine... however...

On the job spec it wasn’t stipulated to implement new processes, but because I have done this previously, they have now asked if I could also do such additional duties in my new role.... but no mention of an increase in salary.  

My question is.... Do I accept the role with the salary it was advertised at (which basically is the equivalent to what I was earning 10 yrs ago - a big drop) but maybe ask for a salary review in line with my enhanced duties & responsibilities in 6 -12 months (once i can prove I have implemented good policies & procedures... ) and ask if I could complete a PDP Plan with him to help me reach a salary increase...

Or

Do I try to negotiate a slightly higher salary at offer stage...(which i don’t feel comfortable doing) as I wouldn’t know how to word it to the M.D...

The external recruiter mentioned at the beginning the salary is fixed (as it’s a administrative role) but then I later found out the recruiter had to find a replacement for the M.D. as the previous candidate decided to leave after 2 weeks (who was placed on the same salary but with less experience / qualifications).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

• The fact that this is a big drop I would put out of your mind. You applied for it and were successful on the terms advertised. You were excited. It offered you the hours and flexibility you wanted .

They told you at start salary was fixed. But there is no harm in going back and saying to recruiter and/or MD that you are excited, you love the job but now extra things have been added coujdvthey review the salary ( or as a second best guaranteed to review in 6-12 months). They will either say yes or no.

Of course there is a very small risk they will either take away the extra tasks or withdraw the offer all together butbthats highly unlikely

In my opinion the best time to negotiate is now rather than after doing the job for a year or two.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you Keith! I think after taking your view on board, my gut instinct is now telling me to go for the second option (maybe have a review in 6-12 months) purely because the M.D is still new to his role & trying to find his own feet. Fingers crossed, I hope he doesn’t mind me suggesting it!
  • Negotiate now. You will almost never manage to secure much more than a small percentage increase once in service. When you're the preferred candidate you have much more leverage.