New to HR and just starting my Level 3 in HR Practice

Hi there, I am just entering the world of CIPD and HR and I am looking for some guidance as to how best to start looking for jobs and making connections in the HR community.

I have just started a part time Level 3 course as I am currently on gardening leave and I am keen to get started preparing for my next role. Can anyone provide any advice or guidance as to 1st steps when approaching the job hunting market? Thanks in advance.

• Hi Nicky,

Hope your course is going well. I did my level 3 course last year. Depending on your work history will depend on how you wish to approach the job market. As in your previous roles you may have already have the skills that an administrator or assistant does, allowing you to go for roles such as advisory or officer role.

This will depend on your gardening leave terms and conditions but you can look at local organisations that take volunteers and see if you are able to volunteer within the HR department to gain some experience (if you don't have any at all), this will allow you to put what you learn on your course into practice and gives you the experience that you may need to gain a role. I was lucky enough to be able to do this within one of my customer service roles, which in turn allowed me to gain my first HR job.

Hope this helps :)
  • I agree with Luigina here, unpaid work experience or volunteering within a HR department will allow you to gain vauable insight. Contact local offices to you and enquire about it, you might be pleasantly surprised and deoending on current circumstances and available annual leave (if req'd) you could do a week or so somewhere or longer, finances permitting.
  • In reply to Gina:

Hi Luigina, thanks for the reply. I am definitely aware of the volunteering route as I have discussed this with a couple of HR professionals recently so will be pursuing as soon as I can. Thanks again for the info :-)
  • In reply to Lauren:

Thanks Lauren :-)