Advice on setting a day rate

Hi

I have been out of the learning and development arena for several years having previously worked for a large organisation. I am now self employed and have the opportunity to engage on a consultancy basis for a small company to deliver an MBTI programme - questionnaires, feedback sessions, workshops and related coaching. I will charge for materials and reports at cost but I am unsure how to pitch my professional day rate. Any advice you can give on what the ball park is for fees in this area would be great.

• Laura

have a look at a some agencies that support interims in your area to see what they are advertising similar roles at. Talk to them about opportunites and get yourself on their books for future work - this will give you a really good idea of rates.

You could also look at the Interim Management Association - they are very good at resources and provide a useful workshop on becoming an interim.

When setting my rate originally I used the following calculation:
    current salary*2 / 48 / 5 and then rounded it down to the nearest £500.

I never had a problem getting work at this rate and it enabled me to be flexible with my rate for longer assignments.

Good luck