One offer and one interview is currently undergoing - what could you do?

Dear all,

Hope you have had a great Christmas!

Apology for the title, it does not really makes sense when you look at it, but yes, I am just seeking an advice as to what should I do. Before Christmas I have got an offer for a job, I was going to accept this offer however there was another opportunity came up ( it is slightly better) and I got through to second round interview(final interview) before Christmas, the second interview is likely to be the week commencing 10th Jan. Both job offers are good opportunity and so far I do not want to give up either of them, but obviously it is slightly unfair for the first offer if I kept delaying and do not give them a definite answer( I did tell them I have other options to look into). Can anyone suggest some ideas so I will not jeopardise both offers( one potential one confirmed?)

Thank you so much in advance!

Paula

• The week commencing the 10th is too long to string this out without being honest. You might get away with early next week but not the week after. If you delay they will pretty much know why anyway

I would probably be honest with them - tell them you have this other interview and that you would like to see them both come to fruition before making such an important decision.

The alternative is to try and bring the other interview forward.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith. Will do. I was being honest with my first offer’s manager and she did see its a slightly urgent role and they will start looking for other candidates.
  • In reply to Paula:

Generally I think honesty is always the best policy. If they really thought you were the best interviewee then they are more likely to hold off and wait than if you come up with some convoluted excuse.
  • In reply to David Perry:

Thanks David.