HR Advisor position

Hi,

I'm hoping the CIPD community can help me here with some advice.

My work has recently advertised an HR Advisor post, which I'm keen to apply for as I feel I'm ready for progression.

My concern is that I won't be able to sufficiently compete with external applicants due to lack of experience in employee relations and casework.

Currently I work in the organisation in a recruitment/ employee lifecycle coordinator role, so I have a small amount of experience in advising on some matters (e.g. basic maternity, salary offers, fair recruitment) but predominantly it's admin related.

I'm planning to approach the contact for the recruitment this week as well to see what they suggest and what they are looking for. I was wondering in addition if anyone could provide some advice as to how I could best align my CV and apply for the role to give myself the best chance along with how best to approach a potential interview?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Katy

• I Ithink approaching the internal recruiter is exactly the right thing to do. Either they will want to develop you internally or frankly it’s probably a lost cause. Therefore I personally wouldn’t spend a lot of time trying to massage your CV. They know you and will either think you have the potential and are worth investing in or they will need somebody with prior experience.

Good luck hopefully they will be willing to invest in you
  • Internal applications come with distinctive pros and cons.

On the "con" side, it's obvious that it's a step up and there's nowhere to hide when it comes to articulating your experience as your colleagues know exactly what you do and how you do it.

On the "pro" side, though, you are also a known quantity in terms of being already on the payroll, but also already being known by the quality of your work, reliability, cooperation and suchlike. Assuming these are good things for you (and they surely must be, as you're a CIPD associate member!), then you will hold these as an advantage over external candidates whose qualities in these respects are unknown.

When it comes to aligning your CV, focus on process rather than detail. Many issues in HR are dealt with through a similar mental and process lens even if the details are different. So the ability, for example, to apply your knowledge of equal opportunities legislation to a situation doesn't matter whether it's thinking about maternity leave, setting salary for a new role or a disputatious grievance investigation. However, you should aim to focus on what advising you have done.
  • if you're in the Bournemouth area perchance I'd be happy to look at your CV for an HR advisor maternity cover that I have had little to no interest in externally. Happy to support development and growth and have done so with current colleague about to take mat leave.