"I have now taken on the full responsibility for payroll..."

Good Morning,

I have been working in HR for 20+ years and have held my CIPD qualification for almost as long, during this time I have always been responsible for reporting HR data to payroll as well as doing basic calculations. However I have now taken on the full responsibility for payroll using the Civica software package and whilst I understand how that works and the basics of running payroll I would like to do some formal training into the workings of payroll and why we do certain things. Is there a particular training course that someone would recommend?

Many thanks in advance.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

3 May, 2023 08:08

Hi Chris... I've left a note on this thread. Hopefully someone will be along soon to provide some advice.

Payroll beginner - training and advice? 

• Hi Chris,

I'm the person who posted the post the Steve has tagged below. That was the one and only time I had responsibility for Payroll in an organisation and I can't say I enjoyed it.

Other than the good advice given by colleagues, the only additional thing I can add is that I undertook a 4 day CIPP Introduction to Payroll course and it was terrible! The main focus was on explaining some of the quirks of the UK tax and NI systems which was not really a focus for me (while slightly interesting) and there was a lot of detail on manual calculations, which few of us do as tools like Excel exist. So an anti-recommend for that option, if it still exists.

Best of luck in your new challenge!

Gemma

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

3 May, 2023 08:17

In reply to Gemma:

Thanks for responding so quickly, Gemma. I can sense you're glad those days are past ;)
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

No problem!
    Reading that thread really brought back to me how unsupported I felt in that organisation. And, though I would class myself as reasonably numerate, how out of my depth I felt on undertaking that part of my role. Chris sounds in a much better position than I was!